Lawson

At noon, Nash fell onto the sofa and groaned. "How do you do this?"

Clyde laughed. It wasn't funny. Nash woke at six am, before his mother and Savannah left for Chattanooga. He had slept on the sofa, but he was used to it. Often he stayed up writing and would stretch out without bothering to go to bed. His nieces woke a little after seven. They were still shy with him. However, without her momma, Blaire didn't hold her tongue.

"My daddy doesn't like you."

"I know."

"Why?"

"He doesn't like my songs."

The youngest, who was a spitting image of Savannah, said, "I like 'em." Milk dripped out of her mouth.

"Leigh, Meemaw says no talking with your mouth full."

He smiled. "She used to say that to me and your daddy."

They looked at him funny, as if surprised he knew their daddy. They used to look just alike.

Not knowing how to entertain children, he brought them to Clyde and Tillie's. The girls had wide-eyes when they saw their house. They had a huge playroom with a climbing structure and slide and even a little playhouse.

Tillie whispered as she watched them timidly approach the playthings. "They look like little waifs."

"McDonalds was a huge treat for them."

Colt and Daisy wanted his attention, and Leigh warmed up and joined in. They had ridden him like a horse and piled on him, and he had lifted little bodies.

Clyde responded to his question about how he kept up with his kids. "I have the remarkable Tillie. Someday, you'll see."

He shook his head. It was hard to see into the future. He had held Savannah in his heart longer than he should have. He needed to let her go. She had to figure out her marriage. He would only help ease some financial burdens, the rest they needed to do on their own. He wouldn't get between a husband and his wife. Not exactly a popular standard around town.

Tillie and Dotty, their housekeeper and nanny, fed the kids. Clyde looked at his watch. "Come on, Till. It's gonna start."

"Dotty, are you okay if I go into the other room?"

"Yes, Miss. Tillie."

Nash smiled. She looked older than her employer.

"Y'all eat up and listen to Miss. Dotty."

The Kirklands replied, "Yes, ma 'am." The younger ones copied.

Clyde turned on the TV. The local stations were covering Beau Haywood's news conference. There had been speculation going around town since they announced the conference.

He watched as Beau appeared on the screen. Behind him were Cayla and, much to Nash's surprise, Mrs. Haywood.

Beau Haywood's voice was strong and deep as he read his statement. Key phrase stayed with Nash.

"Stepping away so I don't detract from the business of making music." "Billy... run operations..." "As of today, the majority shareholder in BVH Records is my lovely wife Vivian for whom the V..."

"What!" Tillie reacted in disbelief. "The whole town thinks she's crazy."

Nash's jaw went slack when the beautiful woman stepped up to the microphone. Her daughter was built like her mother, but the older woman dressed in her smart suit to detract.

"I'm sure y'all are saying, but Beau Haywood's wife is crazy. I am not and have never been. You see, I suffer from migraines, which started after the premature birth and loss of our second child. I have been working with Beau behind the scenes. I assure you I can spot talent and plan to continue. Many BVH artists don't realize the influence I have had on their careers. BVH is strong and will continue to be in the future."