Bad news

Nash loved to slum around at Clyde's house. He and Tillie were his family.

As he texted Rob, Tillie said, "You got a girl?"

"What? No. You know Scarlett dumped me."

Clyde said, "Just like you planned."

It was true. As fun as she was, he didn't love her enough for the long term. He didn't know if there was a girl out there who could capture his heart. He was a farce writing love songs without love.

"So, who yah texting?"

"My boy, Rob. He wants to know if the touching is part of the business."

Tillie said, "The boy's smart." She looked towards her babies. "Put that down, Sissy had it first."

Colt stole his sister's toy. Little Daisy wailed as Clyde lifted her up and sang, "Daisy, Daisy, give me your answer do. I'm half crazy all for the love of you..." She quieted down as she smiled at him with enormous eyes.

Clyde turned his attention back to Nash. "Can't hurt to share some concerns with Wes."

"Lemme know when you set something up. Hey, I started a new song this morning."

Nash headed for the door as Clyde followed. "Wave bye-bye to Uncle Nash."

He smiled. "Bye, sugarplum."

It was not lost on him he was close to Clyde's kids, but never met his nieces. He was closer to his bandmate than his brother.

Instead of going home, he drove by Tyler's place. It was nearing five, so he had to be awake. He wasn't asking for trouble, but nothing felt right.

Tyler opened the door. "What?"

"Just checking on yah."

"I'm fine." He held up a beer. "A little hair of the dog."

"I know last night didn't go like you hoped."

"Yeah, well, she says she likes me."

"Because it's her job." Nash sighed.

"I'll prove I'm twice the man, her boring..."

"Don't get in the middle of their relationship. You don't have the right." Nash stayed away from home to avoid a similar mistake. "Stay away from Cayla."

"She doesn't want me to stay away."

"What did you do?" His heart raced. "Did you touch her?"

He smiled and nodded. "They're so effing big."

"You're telling me she let you?"

"She sure as hell didn't run away."

He was in over his head. He left Tyler's and texted Clyde.

N: Calling Wes. Can't wait.

C: Why?

N: Something's going on.

C: Shit!

Wesley answered on the third ring. "This better be good."

"It's bad news."

"You riding roller coasters now?"

"No, but you can't stop me if I am. It's Tyler. He's mouthing off about Beau Haywood's daughter."

"What'd he say?"

"He's been touching her and he's damn proud about it."

"Touching?"

"And bragging. I don't know if he's grabbing somethin' or she's encouraging him. Either way, I don't like it."

"I'll take care if it."

"You know, I don't like him anymore."

"Let's just calm down before you're remembered like the Beatles or One eff'ing Direction."

"Not happening. He's just a drummer."

"Lie low. Stay out of it. Stay away from Tyler and the Haywoods. Go write some songs."

"Not likely."

"Dang it. You're right. You're recording next week. For now, focus on your Christmas appearance."

Nash slathered peanut butter on some bread. Growing up peanut butter was a luxury. He could fill his place with jars if he wanted. He picked up his guitar and plucked. A line was stuck in his head.

Wanting ain't enough.

He added, A soul must surrender to the one who holds her heart.