Unknown man

Phoebe was freaking out. Twitter and Instagram were exploding with a video and a picture of Robbie surfing with Nash Kirkland. Unknown man.

"He's not unknown to me." She said out loud, but no one was around to hear her. She recognized him immediately. Her heart rate increased just looking at him.

The last contact she had with him was the day he left. The day after their kiss. He sent a picture of him and Nash. She replied, and then radio silence. She couldn't be silent.

P: You're surfing with Nash.

R: Not now. Having breakfast with him. Are you fangirling?

P: Yes. Bring him surfing here.

R: 🤣😂🤣😂

P: I can retweet and tag you so you won't be unknown

R: Don't! Let the professionals handle it.

P: professionals?

R: PR people

P: you are so cool!

R: I'm not. I'm an accountant. Bye.

P: miss you!

No response. He kept cutting her off. She always imagined his girlfriend looking at his phone as he texted. Maybe Nash Kirkland was.

Phoebe had to go back to work. She had sat down in the storeroom for her break, because all the tables were full. Letting out a long breath, she had another date later with Sawyer. She never should have agreed to go out with him. The first date was fun. He kissed her cheek. The second the kiss was on the lips. She should cancel because she didn't want to kiss him. She didn't want to ruin the memory of one special kiss. Maybe she would regret it, but she had to wait for Robbie to decide. As soon as he proposed, she would move on.

Summer moved on and she couldn't stop it. Her mother went back to work a week before classes started. Phoebe agreed to work for Rick into the fall around her class schedule and on Sundays, so he could have the afternoon and evening off.

Her mother had been stressed out, which was unlike her. Phoebe was afraid something was wrong with her parents, so she called Lilli.

"I'm in Boston. How would I know? Just ask."

How could she ask? One minute she thought they were getting divorced, the next she was convinced one of them was sick. They had tense conversations, which stopped the minute they saw her. She tried sneaking up on them, but they were too vigilant.

She returned from The Landing on Sunday night. Her mother called to her from their living room. Both her parents were sitting apart from each other. Her father was in a chair and her mother sat on the sofa.

"Honey, sit down." She patted the cushion next to her.

Phoebe felt tears trying to escape as she sat. Unable to look at either of them, she studied a broken fingernail.

Betsy said, "The dean asked me to teach spring semester at the campus in Tangier. It was a big decision, but we've decided to take the opportunity."

Adrian said, "I took a leave of absence. Financially, it's not ideal, but I can return to my job in May."

"What does it mean for me?"

"As long as you're comfortable, you can watch the house. Stay here and take care of the cat. If not, I'll ask Chellie if you can live at their house."

"No. I can live alone."

"Even in the winter, people will look out for you. Maddie and Jack. Rick and Alice. I trust you."