Chapter 12

There are moments when we just ride quietly together. I'm beginning to feel like I actually do belong in her company. Her grounded charm is captivatingly wholesome and true. There's nothing dishonest about Lisa. She says how it is and feels how she does. I really don't think she's aware of what effect she has on others. That would be far too vain and conceited for her to ever be conscious of such a thing. It is also that very thing that makes her so very desirable and irresistible to me.

I see the mountains coming into view. The scene before me is simply breath-taking.

"Wow." That's all my parted lips can say.

"It's really something, isn't it?" Lisa replies.

"I'm at a loss for words...again."

Lisa doesn't respond straight away. She sits quietly, just looking where I am. The quiet is eventually broken away by her gentle voice, "The silence here, can be beautifully haunting." Her deepness throws me. For such a simple person, who claims to live only a simple life, she has truly profound thoughts. I stare at her with more wonder than I have for the majestic mountains.

"I'm glad you're my escort today, Lisa."

Her eyes narrow, her expression changing. She looks at me, then at the mountains, then back at me. She seems hesitant to speak, but when she does, her voice is low and quiet. "Me too."

"I've enjoyed it much more than I thought I would." I confess with an amused smile.

"Did the thought of being alone with me bother you that much?" She looks at me with an amused, questioning expression.

Before I even have time to stop my words, they've already exited my far too relaxed mouth. "It is exactly the being alone with you that bothers me." Oh shit, did I really just say that...out loud? Without the air of vodka? Damn it! I dare not even look at her for fear of what her reaction might be. My chest tightens as the panic suddenly rips through me.

"So my mom is going to show you some of her cooking skills?" she says, completely bypassing my comment. I don't know what is worse, blurting out something so ridiculous or her choosing to completely ignore it. Shit!

I rein in my panic. I have to play this down. "I need all the help I can get." I say, now too mortified to even make any eye contact with her.

"She likes you." Lisa replies.

"I like her too."

There's an awkward silence. I continue to ride, not daring to look in her direction. The oppressive silence is soon broken by the sound of her voice. "So, let's go and roam under the mountains." She gallops off into the distance.

I see her perfect form disappear ahead of me. I know I shouldn't be, but I'm foolishly falling for Lisa Manoban. I've never felt this way about anyone, like I feel for her...that truly does scare me. I've only know her for two days, and already I feel connected to her. Is that wishful thinking on my part, or is something really happening here? I honestly have no idea, I'm afraid of my own feelings. I'm afraid to care, but it's happening, whether I like it or not.

"How's your back holding up?" I frown at Lisa's question.

"My back?" I ask.

She brings her horse by the side of mine; we ride wither to wither. "You've been in the saddle for a few hours, and you've not ridden for a while, so I thought your back might get sore." she explains. The shadow from her Stetson is unable to hide her glorious, yet serious, expression from me.

"It's okay." I abruptly reply, straightening up my slightly aching back. I'm not having her think that I can't keep up. Besides, it's not my back that is hurting.

"So why are you making that face?" she asks, now looking sexily amused.

I smile, tilting my head at her. "Does nothing get past you?"

She leans forward in her saddle. "Nope, not a thing."

Taking my left leg out of my stirrup, I stretch it out. "It's not my back...it's my bloody foot. I keep getting cramp in the sole of it, where it's been in the stirrup." I admit. Then right on cue, the cramp begins to spasm again. I wince with the pain, trying to point my locked toes upwards.

Lisa quickly halts her horse and dismounts, handing me her reins.

"What are you doing?" I tentatively ask.

She looks up in my direction, but ignored me as she walks around my horse. Without saying a word, she slowly pulls off my riding boot, handing me that, as well. She looks up at me from beneath her long lashes, her golden eyes remain momentarily fixed on me while my foot rests in the palm of her hand. Shit! What is she about to do? Using her dexterous fingers, she starts to massage my foot. Using deep and slow circular movements, her sensual fingers caress it. I watch her, literally holding my breath. I can't move or react, but my body is inwardly responding to her touch with a ravenous heat surging through my veins.

My eyes involuntarily close as a tiny gasp is emitted from my tight dry throat. With the ball of my foot still in her heated palm, I'm unravelling before her, so incredibly aroused in her hold. My foot is no longer the only thing that's going into spasm. My awakened sex is eagerly swelling. Tiny pulses are well hidden within the confines of my plumped up folds. I force myself to open my eyes. I can't be getting off while sat on a bloody horse. Lisa once again, lifts her dark lashes to meet my euphoric gaze. Her mouth parts with darkening eyes. I want to lean down and assault those delicious lips of hers, but I'm too afraid to move. Instead, we remain fixed on one another; our eyes in some kind of delectable duel. I don't know what is happening between us, but something bigger than the both of us is consuming us whole.