Chapter 41

The decision to try to maintain a long distance relationship is never for the faint hearted. Sometimes they work, usually if both parties are in the same country. Unfortunately, Lisa and I won't ever have that luxury. We will have thousands and thousands of miles, literally, keeping us apart.

We will have thousands and thousands of reasons, why we shouldn't be together. My slightly lost eyes lift. For the first time, I see the same despair, etched all over Lisa's face. Her eyes begin to redden, filling with tears. She cocoons my face with her needing hands, while her thumbs brush evenly across my jawline. My pale and tortured face being her blank canvas.

"I'll make that promise, if you promise me the same thing." Lisa's eyes study my still face, finally resting on my teary blue spheres.

I sigh deeply, clasping my hands around the back of her neck: forcing our heads together. "I promise," I say with a sad smile. Sad because I don't know whether it's a promise we both can ever keep.

Lisa pushes away her faraway look with a long blink, and a sniff. I watch her trying to compose herself. Shaking off the emotion that's pulling her down, with a dismissive wipe of her watery eyes. She pulls back from me with an over exuberant smile. "Let's have some food and champagne," she says, quickly standing.

My neck has to tilt to look up at her. "Champagne?" I ask with an impressed grin.

Lisa picks up the picnic basket, lifting out the bottle of bubbly. "Well, I'm trying to be romantic here." She winks across at me. Light-hearted Lisa is most definitely back with me.

I sit up straight on the blanket. Looking up at the one person who has always evoked so much emotion within me. "Everything you do is romantic," I tell her with an amorous smile.

Lisa walks back towards me, offering her hand out to me. She pulls me hard into her chest before feeding my lips with her tasty kiss.

"That was absolutely delicious. I didn't think I would have much of an appetite, but I couldn't resist your mum's cooking," I say, leaning back in the wooden chair feeling so full and content. The darkening orange sun is starting to set on the horizon. As if by magic, the fairy lights come on, lighting up the shadowy oak tree. We both look up, to watch them twinkling brightly above us. I stare in wonder at the shimmering glow in amongst the branches.

It's like being in a beautiful, magical scene from an enchanting film, with the hot as hell lead character sitting opposite me.

I somehow always manage to get carried away with the hopeless romantic that lurks somewhere deep inside of me. Okay, I may not be in an enchanting film, but I sure as hell am with a hot as hell Lisa.

I'm beginning to get slightly carried away with my thoughts. I lower my head, smiling to myself. Lisa quietly sits opposite me, staring back at me with a deep and intense stare. Our eyes lock in a silent, sensual appreciation of one another.

"I have another surprise for you," Lisa says in her deep Western drawl.

I shift around in my seat. It's my body's way of reacting to the way she's looking at me. "Oh?" I ask.

She starts to smirk. "No American holiday is ever complete without a skinny dip," she says, her smirk becoming more roguish.

I start spluttering on my mouthful of champagne, nearly spitting it back into my glass. I gulp it back so quickly; I need to clear my throat before answering. "Excuse me? . . . wh . . . what did you just say?" I nervously stumble over my words.

Lisa stands. "Get undressed, we're going skinny dipping," she commands me, with just a trace of a smile upon her full and delicious mouth. In a daze, I watch her walk around the small table to take hold of both my nervous hands.

I try to pull from her hold, shaking my head really hard. "We can't, Lisa . . . someone may see." I shyly look around, to only see the night drawing in. There is nothing to see beyond our beautifully lit tree.

Lisa laughs. "No one will see us. Besides, skinny dipping is kind of a rule around here." She smirks, taking off her boots. I watch her start to undress. Piece by piece, her clothing drops to the grassy ground.

"We don't have towels and we'll get really cold," I protest.

As the excuses fly from my mouth, I find myself unable to take my eyes off a soon-to-be, very naked, and very sexy, Lisa.

"You're just so Korean! Now, do you undress . . . or do I do it for you?" she asks, in a low covetous voice.

"Now that's the most tempting thing you've said all bloody day," I say, throwing her a sultry smile, reluctantly slipping my boots off.

She now stands in front of me, gloriously naked, revealing her beyond amazing body. I mean absolutely every beautiful inch of it. To see her in this way, regardless of her being surrounded by the night, makes my cheeks redden; they're a beacon of arousal. I nervously keep one eye on Lisa, slowly slipping out of my jeans.