Chapter 37

In a daydream, I rock to the motion of the horse I am riding. It is soothingly relaxing. I feel the tightness in my chest lifting. The prairie is like a lullaby to my restless soul. I'm trying to enjoy every little last thing I do here, in this breath-taking place. I want to take in every sound, scent, and picturesque scene. Engraving it in my mind, so I can revisit this memory whenever I need to.

"You're one of the guests, aren't you?" A pretty brunette, riding with the group, abruptly interrupts my saving of treasured sweet memories. She has purposely slowed down in order to talk to me.

"Yes, I am," I politely reply.

She's very friendly, flashing me a big smile, showing off her perfectly straight teeth. Her long brown hair is swishing against her straight back as she rides. "How long have you been here?" she asks.

"Nearly two weeks. I leave tomorrow," I say it quickly. I really do hate that leave word.

The personable brunette nods with a slight smile, her overly plucked brows pinch inwards with a frown. "Oh, right. I wasn't sure if you were a guest or not because you seem pretty close with our escort." Her eyes dart forwards, fixing on Lisa up ahead.

I trail my eyes slowly back to her. "I suppose I am," I say with a non-committal shrug of the shoulders.

"So you have been seeing her?" she asks without hesitation.

I start to feel uncomfortable with her directness. I really am not liking her nosiness, at all. I feel guarded now . . . defensive. "Yes," I offishly reply.

"Shit . . . you lucky girl. She is HOT!" I look past the people in front of me, to see Lisa slowly riding in the distance. She looks so damn handsome in her cowboy attire with the horizon as her beautiful backdrop. No wonder Miss No Brows wants to get her manicured claws into Lisa.

At first, I didn't really want to divulge with her that I am, in fact, with Lisa. Now, I just want to rub her bloody interfering nose right in it. "Yes, she is. I'm very lucky to have her in my life . . . in more ways than one, if you get my drift." I smugly tell her. Have some of that, Miss Never Gonna Happen!

The persistent and very annoying brunette just gives me a fake smile with her approving nod. She seems immune to my smutty sarcasm. "Well, you can tell your cute cowboy, if she has a just as cute brother or friend, they can find me in cabin number three! Shit, if I can hook myself up with someone just like her, I'm going to be one very happy lady on this holiday!"

I throw her a dismayed look, as my jealously rages through me like an unforgiving tornado. I can't believe her audacity. How fucking rude!

Throwing her a very unimpressed look, I mutter under my incensed breath. "I have to go." I squeeze my knees hard, cantering off in the direction of Lisa; wishing Miss No Brows a terrible ordeal with a pair of possessed tweezers.

My emotions are on high alert. I don't need some horny hussy, telling me that she has the hots for my Lisa. All that inner calmness is now gone; dissipated into the angry air that now surrounds me. The burning sensation that is rising from my stomach is now running amok inside of me. I have this growing desire to ride my ass back to that bitch, to swing the pencil-browed brunette around by her shiny hair, just to see if she bounces or not.

She has chosen the wrong fucking day to piss me off. My breathing is coarse and rapid, as I battle to control my relentless jealousy. It's not only irrational and unrepentant; it's childish and immature. Every doubt, fear and insecurity hits me all at once. I need to be near Lisa. I need to be near her now! She's the only one who can reassure my pathetic inner turmoil.

I sullenly ride up beside her, sulking like a jealous brat.

Lisa can see something is bothering me straightaway. "What's up?" she asks.

"Nothing," I snap.

She rides closer, looking me straight in my despondent eyes. "Tell me what's wrong," she demands.
Knowing that I now have to articulate how I am feeling makes me feel even worse. I'm acting like a jealous bitch, an immature and childish jealous bitch. Jealously is never a good look on anyone, and damn, I don't wear it well at all!

"I'm sorry for snapping at you. I really am feeling stupid now." I frantically try to back track. If I could press rewind, I'd be pressing that sucker right now.

"Jennie, please just spit it out. Tell me what's pissed you off!" Lisa now looks annoyed.

I swallow before answering. "Some stupid cow at the back has just pissed me off, that's all." I feel too ashamed to look at her, so I keep my eyes forward.

"What did she do?" Lisa asks.

Deep down, I know she hasn't really done anything wrong. The gabby brunette was merely throwing around some girlie banter, that's all. Frankly, I'm appalled by my reaction to it. I look sideways at Lisa, who still awaits my awful answer.

I sigh loudly, preparing to purge myself of my unfounded jealousy. "She was just asking me some questions about us. She thinks you're really hot and wonders if your brother looks like you and is available," I begrudgingly tell her with my jealousy just managing to be kept at bay. Rationality is no longer a friend of mine. All I keep thinking is that as soon as I have gone, she's going to try and get her jewelled claws into Lisa.

Lisa rests one hand on her thigh, her eyebrow arched. "Tell me you're not jealous, Jennie?" she asks with a knowing smile. She knows full well that I'm fucking jealous. She just wants to prolong my agony a little more.

I know I could try to deny it but that would be pointless. I defiantly lift my chin, sticking my nose high up in the air. "Yes, I am. I admit it. My feelings are all over the place today. So, yes . . . I'm feeling jealous!" I confidently confess, blinking hard at her.

Lisa brings her horse even closer to mine. So close, our knees knock against one another. With her one hand holding the horn of her saddle, she leans across to me, sealing her sensuous lips around mine. I'm immersed in sweet relief. My jealously is being forced down by the power of her mouth, my insecure lips enjoy savouring this spontaneous taste of her.

Lisa ends our kiss by lovingly stroking my cheek. "I think she'll get the message that I'm not available." she playfully winks.

I coyly smile, dropping my eyes to the ground. The lightness in my heart has returned. My jealousy has been battled. Lisa has somehow managed to destroy it all with the power of her words and her kiss.