Chapter 27

"She'll stay in touch." Lisa protectively wraps her strong arm around my waist, as we watch the SUV disappear out of sight, only leaving behind a trail of dust. As I blink back my tears, I smile at the memory of both Rosé and Jisoo frantically waving goodbye to me, just a few precious moments before.

I honestly don't know what upsets me more; the fact that they have left or the realisation that it will be my turn this time next week. I feel Lisa's caring hands gripping my body tighter, trying to sweetly comfort me.

"It's certainly going to be a lot quieter around here without them." I say sadly, resting my head on Lisa's consoling shoulder.

"Come with me, I want to show you something." Her hardworking fingers lovingly wrap around mine. In quiet togetherness, we walk towards the stables. The smell of horses titillate my nostrils. I know it's not everyone's favourite smell, but for me; it is one that I find very comforting. As a child, I used to work in the stables every single Sunday. They were the best years of my life. I liked nothing more than being up to my eyes in straw and manure, turning out the horses, come rain or shine.

"What's in here?" I ask, glancing across at a deep in thought Lisa.

"In here." she replies softly, jerking her head in the direction of a stable to our right. Lisa quietly rests her hands on the stable door, carefully looking inside. I stand beside her, peeping inside. My eyes are greeted with the most precious sight of a beautiful bay mare, standing proudly beside her new-born ebony foal. It's not yet standing but lays contentedly tired on its golden straw bed.

My eyes sparkle in wonder. "That has to be the most beautiful thing I have ever seen." I coo, unable to take my eyes off the mesmerising little creature.

"She's a beauty, all right." Lisa whispers. I sense her looking at me. I can feel the weight of her stare and turn my head. Her wanting eyes linger on mine, remaining fixed only on me.

"When was she born?" I ask, bringing myself closer to her. She turns her distracted attention back to the foal; obviously she's already besotted with the tiny little thing. I watch her, looking down at the foal with the sweetest look of awe on her glorious face. For a person who is completely and utterly drenched in charm and masculinity, she really does have the most gentle of dispositions...it only makes me want her more.

"She foaled about fifteen minutes ago." she tells me with a delighted smile.

I watch as the mare continue to lick her offspring clean, gently nuzzling her new-born, oblivious that we are even there. "I've never seen a new-born foal before." I whisper, not wanting to raise my voice any louder. I'm just happy to continue watching the foal's first moments in happy silence with Lisa.

She sighs softly, stepping back slightly from the stable door. "Rest assured, it's a sight you never get tired of.", she says, glancing across at me.

"I'm so glad you brought me, she really is an adorable creature." I reply.

"She is called Jennie." My eyes snap up to Lisa. Her affectionate eyes and smile greet my shocked expression. My mouth involuntarily opens while my hand flies to my chest. I want to say something but feel too choked up to do so. At this precise moment in time, I feel so utterly overcome with raw emotion. My threatening tears hover around the lower lids of my eyes. I dare not even blink.

I tilt my head, hesitating to look into her waiting eyes. "You've named her Jennie?" I mumble, biting my lip hard to prevent it from quivering.

"I sure did." Lisa replies, turning her body so she's able to remove some of the distance between us.

"Why?" I ask with glassy eyes.

She smiles. "So, I can always have a little of you here with me." I feel myself emotionally crumble before her. I step away from the stable door. Unable to suppress my tears any longer, the ones that now freely cascade down my flushed cheeks.

"Shit...I'm sorry." I apologise, rubbing my chest as if I'm in pain. I try to remain with my back to her, but Lisa turns me around, forcefully pulling me into her chest.

"Hey, don't cry, beautiful." She wraps her safe arms around my inconsolable body. I breath her in, holding her as tight as I possibly can.

"Ignore me, I'm just being overly emotional." Embarrassed, I quickly swipe away my tears. "What you have done, is the sweetest thing anyone has ever done for me." I add, snivelling against her taut chest. I'm still too overwhelmed to bring myself to look up at her. Lisa has just done the most wonderful thing for me, and here I am, unable to even look her in the eye. How pathetic can I be?

I hear the echo of her chuckle against my ear. "This was supposed to cheer you up." I feel her chest rise with the rumble of her laughter.

I pull back, bravely looking into her amused eyes. "It has. The gesture really is so sweet and with Rosé and Jisoo leaving, then this...it just threw me, that's all." I look down on the ground, continuing with my eyes remaining downwards. "We only have seven more days left together, Lisa." I add solemnly. My voice cracks at my painful admission.

Grabbing my face, Lisa leans in close. "Then, we had better make the most of them." Her parted mouth reaches down to mine. I lose myself in her beautiful and reassuring kiss. For now, it has calmed my inward restlessness...but for how long?