Chapter 35

I throw my arms around her, overcome with fear. "Are we okay?" I blurt out. Lisa's arms sweep around me without faltering. I fight to hold back my tears. I've tried to ignore her odd behavior, but now I need to know why it's there at all.

Lisa lifts my head with her cradling hands. "Hey, where's all this coming from?" she asks with emotional eyes.

I look down, shaking away the fear with a slow sway of my head. "Since we left the rodeo, you've been acting weird. Something is wrong, and I want to know what is." I raise my cracking voice. She needs to understand that I need to know what's going on in her mind and not lock me out this way.

She lets out a long-drawn breath, pulling me into her. "I'm sorry, Jennie. I don't mean to hurt you. I guess the enormity of our situation hit me hard today. I love being with you. Seeing how happy you were today, it just hit me in the chest like a fucking freight train. I know you've been avoiding talking about leaving, but it's closer than you think. I really think we need to talk about it." she speaks with such sincerity, while tenderly brushing the hair on my face away.

I slump against her, completely drained and emotionally spent. I sensed this day was coming. I knew we were going to have to address the elephant in the room, but today has been so wonderful, I only want to talk about that. I want to remember every single detail about today. How Lisa never left my side and introduced me to everyone she knew. How she bought two cokes, but preferred drinking from mine because she thought it tasted better. All the sweet and sentimental things that I want to cherish. So, any talking about me leaving can be done soon...just not now.

I look into her troubled eyes, wishing I could see them cleared of the worry they hold. I run my hand along the contours of her sculpted face, soaking in her exquisiteness.

"I know we have to talk about things, but today has been so great, can we leave it until tomorrow...please?" I ask in a hushed voice.

Lisa closes her eyes, resting her face where my hand sits. Her chest heaves with a long-drawn out accepting breath. Opening her eyes, they seem appeased...for just a little while. "Okay." she whispers, kissing my forehead and cuddling me tight.

I embrace her so hard, I fear I may have cracked her ribs. "Thank you." I say, feeling somewhat reprieved.

"We'll talk tomorrow, then?" she asks softly. I don't say anything. I reply with an agreeing nod against her chest. Lisa pulls back, holding my shoulders, looking at me with a lighter smile. "I have something special planned for our last night together." she tells me, with an excited gleam in her eye.

I don't think anything can beat today, but now I'm very much intrigued to know what she has up her sexy cowboy sleeve. "What is it?" I ask excitedly.

Lisa shakes her head, her eyes crinkling upwards with her big smile. "It's a surprise." She kisses my mouth, trying to silence me; a sweet and long kiss by her sensuous velvety lips.

When the kiss is broken, I playfully sway in her arms. Seductively running my fingers around the collar of her shirt, batting my long lashes at her. "Can't you tell me just a teensy, weensy, little bit?" I ask with squinted eyes and a childlike pout and voice.

Lisa holds her chin high, determined and stubborn. "You're getting nothing out of me. No matter how hard you bat those beautiful eyelashes at me."

With her reply, I push myself up more against her receptive body. "Nothing?" I ask with a mischievous brow.

"No!" Her crooked grin makes her look so darn adorable.

"Will this make you talk?" I plant a featherlight kiss on her shapely mouth, sexily nipping it as I gently pull back.

The heat in Lisa's eyes brands my soul. Her scorching spheres harmlessly scald my skin as deep desire fills them. Her grip on my hips lustily tightens. I think my seductress act is really working on her. It won't be long before she's spilling the beans about her plans for tomorrow.

Lisa straightens her back with a distant, unfocused smile. "Nice try, but...no!" she says in a stern, unhurried voice.

I increase the flirty, suggestive body language. "I think I'm going to have to work on you some more." I tease her with a devilish wink.

Lisa sweeps me up in her arms, carrying me over to the bed. She carefully puts me down, straddling my hips. "I think I'm going to like you trying." she says deeply, trailing kisses on my submissive neck.

In a blinding blissful state, I whisper breathlessly. "We're not crossing the line, are we?" I ask, half hoping that we might be.

Lisa's mouth curves against my skin, breaking into a smile. "Nope...we're just touching our toes on it." she says in a slow, controlled manner. I don't overthink her words. I'm too caught up in the moment, relishing what her mouth is doing to me.

Tonight, I wouldn't even care if we did cross that stupid line. All common sense seems to have left my fuelled body. The more I tell myself we should not cross it, the more I want to, whatever the emotional cost may be.