Chapter 6

The pub is dimly lit with modern country music playing loudly in the background. Considering that the town Prairie Point in Montana is only meant to have a small population, this place is buzzing...and I'm definitely feeling it.

Obviously, being strangers in town, we get stared at as we walk through the crowd of cowboys and cowgirls. The revellers aren't being hostile, just being obvious with their friendly curiosity.

Rosé whispers in my ear, "I feel like we are in that pub scene out of American Werewolf in London." We both laugh. Jisoo takes hold of both our hands and confidently leads us to the bar. "Come on, ladies. Let's get a drink."

Rosé is leaning against Jisoo's arm. "What are you having, Jennie?" she asks.

"A vodka and tonic, please."

"Jisoo, set up the vodka shots." she has this wicked smirk on her face.

I put my hands up. "I'm not doing shots!" I say, my expression deadly serious.

Rosé's eyes are now scolding me. "You so fucking are, girl!"

Knowing that I'm not going to win this argument, I sigh. "Why do I get the terrible feeling that I'm going to regret coming out with you girls?" I'm laughing but my mind is spinning with so much regrets. Getting plastered on the first night in Montana just seems like a very bad idea to me right now.

"Life is too short for regrets, Jennie." she says while handing me my shot of vodka.

Agreeing with her, I smile. "Well, can't say I don't agree with that."

Rosé holds her shot glass high. "Right, after three. ONE...TWO...THREE!"

We all throw back the shots as our faces wince while the numbing alcohol flows freely down our throats.

"Line them up again, barman." I say, banging my shot glass down hard onto the bar table. The cute guy serving us gives me the cheeky little wink.

"So, y'all staying up at Manoban Ranch?" he asks.

"Indeed." I proudly tell him.

"We get a lot of tourists from up there. How long ya staying?"

I answered first. "I'm here for two weeks." I then looked at Rosé and Jisoo.

"We're only here for a week, unfortunately." Rosé sadly pouts. I look at them both with a frown, shocked to find out that they'll be leaving before me.

Jisoo apologetically shrugs her shoulders. "I could only get a week off from work regrettably. Rosé kind of sprung this holiday on me." She puts her arm around her girlfriend.

I pass them their drink. "Well, in that case, we had better get some more of these shots down our necks." I tilt my head back, swallowing the vodka in one swift gulp. I'm actually beginning to have a great time. I'm soaking up the sultry atmosphere, swaying to the music and loving the Montana hospitality.

"Let's dance!" Rosé says, trying to drag both Jisoo and me to the tiny dance space in the corner of the pub. I'm not quite sure if I've had enough liquid courage yet, but I can see quite a few people dancing already, so I suppose I won't feel that self-conscious.

"You carry on, girls. I think I'm going to sit this one out." Jisoo pulls back, returning back to her place at the bar.

Rosé and myself mess around. Holding hands, singing like we've been friends for years. Any inhibitions that I had earlier, I think I left them at the bar or at the bottom of my shot glass. I feel slightly tipsy and with that comes my confident and flirtatious side.

Back home, I would have forgotten this side of me still existed. I was too caught up with feeling shitty all the time. It feels amazing to be finally letting go of what has been holding me back...self-doubt. The more the local cowboys start to notice us, the more we dance and laugh. It's showing off at its drunken finest.

One of the cowboys come over and starts dancing with us. "What's your name, little lady?" his sexy drawl is slow, yet inquisitive.

I throw him a big smile. "Jennie and this is my friend, Rosé." They both nod at one another.

The stranger quickly turns his attention back to me. "So, ya both look like you're having fun."

"We are." I shout over the music, continuing to dance.

He smiles. "There's a barn dance tomorrow night, would ya like to come with me?" His blond hair peeps out from under his Stetson, his light brown eyes are warmly bright.

My flirtatiousness falters. "Um...I'm not sure..." I mumbled.

"Why?...It'll be fun."

"I don't know you, and we've only just met." I try to explain my hesitancy.

"Then, why don't ya try me on for size?" He suddenly lifts me up, throwing me over his shoulder. He's laughing, but I'm unsure of where this is going. Rosé is giggling like a drunken girl when he starts to walk off with me.

"Put me down!" I half-pleaded with him.

"Why? We're just getting acquainted." The overly confident cowboy laughs.

"I have asked you to please put me down." I shout, my angry frown only makes him laugh louder. That's when I hear a voice, a familiar voice...her voice.