Chapter 40

"So, we are going to stay in touch with one another?" I ask with a smile, my hands now under my chin.

A self-satisfied and slanted grin illuminates Lisa's charming face. "I truly hope so," her reply may be short, but it's absolute. My heart races with joy at the prospect of seeing Lisa again. We, no longer feel hopeless . . . so final.

I lift my neck, bringing myself even closer to her . . . excitedly close. "Does this mean, that we're going to embark on a long distance relationship?" My eyes search her glorious face, while tentatively biting down on my lip, trying to contain my delight at the prospect.

Lisa's arms embrace me tightly. "A very long distance relationship." Her carefree laugh fills the air around us.

Are we just getting caught up in the moment, being carried away with wishful thinking? My joy begins to waver, hesitating to really let go.

"Can it really work?" I ask, swallowing hard. I have never wanted anything more than for us to work.

Lisa shrugs with a smile that tries to reassure me. "I don't know, Jennie. I've never had one before. All I can tell you is . . . I'm willing to try." She pulls my face to hers, kissing me gently to assure me with her mouth.

Her intoxicating tongue runs across mine, silently convincing me that we can do this. Come what may . . . we can make us work.

Our lips reluctantly part. I breathe slowly against her parted mouth. "I suppose it makes me feel slightly better now, knowing that we are going to stay in touch," I tell her, brushing my lips lightly across hers.

"Neither one of us knows where this will lead. We can't predict the future, Jennie. We don't know whether it will work or not. But the least we can do is give us a shot." Her eyes look at me with conviction. Her words determined.

"So, you honestly would come to Korea?" I ask, still surprised that she's already agreed to do so. I just need to ask one more time . . . just to make sure.

She tickles my ribs, laughing at my question. "I said I would, didn't I?"

I'm unable to answer, at least not in a coherent way. We roll around on the blankets. I'm squealing like a cat in heat. I'm ticklish . . . like really ticklish. I try to tell her to stop but between my shrieks and manic laughter, the words won't come. I writhe beneath her, becoming more and more out of breath.

It's only when Lisa herself feels worn out by our boisterous frolicking that she stops.

With my arms pinned above my head, my hair messily splayed around the blanket, I look up at Lisa.

My eyes deeply penetrate hers, while rapid panting breaths struggle to slow down inside of my burning chest.

I pull on her t-shirt, bringing her close to my mouth. "Promise me something, Lisa." My voice is weighted with emotion.

Lisa's lips caress mine with a featherlight trail. "Anything," she whispers against them.

"Just promise me, that whenever you have any doubts about us; once I've returned to Seoul . . . please don't forget today," I gently plead.

I truly hope Lisa listens to my words because weare both going to have lonely, dark days once we are apart.