The Little Girl

Bernard opens his eyes and notices that he is lying on a soft bed, "Where am I?" He rasped. The head elf bolted up, only to cry in pain. Footsteps quickly made their way over to him, and a pair of hands rested on his shoulders, "No! Lay back down, Bernard!" The head elf glanced to his right to see Curtis stand over him, "You've been out for two days."

Bernard's eyes widened, and his voice cracked, "T-two days?!" The head elf sat up, ignoring his body's protests. Curtis immediately grabbed his shoulders, "Bernard! Everything is okay! He didn't hurt anyone while you passed out in your office." He replied as Bernard plopped his head on the pillow.

"Rest..."

Bernard gazed around the room and noticed that he was in the younger's home, "I hear her..." He muttered.

"What did she say?"

"Rest."

"Then listen to her." Curtis stood up, walked to the kitchen, and grabbed a large glass of cold water. Walking back to the guest bedroom, Curtis sits on the edge next to Bernard.

The head elf averted his gaze to the young elf, "Here, this should help." Curtis slowly tips the glass of water to Bernard's bruised lips. Bernard hungrily accepted the water as it traveled down his dry, parched throat, "Thank you, Curtis." He finally spoke after draining the cup.

Curtis nodded his head and set the cup on the stand. Then glancing at the injured elf, Curtis brushed back the older's hair from his face and examined the multiple bruises and cuts that littered his face and hands.

"What happened after I passed out?"

Curtis sighs, "I did my best to clean your cuts. But I had to wait for him to leave the shop for me to find other elves and carry you to my house."

Bernard hummed, "How long did that take?"

Curtis squinted, "Uhh, two... three hours."

Bernard's head proceeded to hurt, "What?!"

Curtis seizes the head elf's arm, "I couldn't leave you alone in your office! Especially in the condition he put you in!" Curtis takes a deep breath, "Look, Bernard, Santa didn't come out of his office until the end of the day. He left early yesterday morning and ordered everyone to keep everything as it is!"

Bernard watches the frightened look in Curtis's eyes as he lies there, "He told me that before hurting you." He whispers. Curtis stayed silent with the head elf in the bedroom.

"Bernard... Bernard..."

The head elf grabs Curtis's hand as the feminine voice chants softly. The younger listens closely, hearing the voice repeat the head elf's name. Curtis glances at the head elf, seeing him fixated on the ceiling. Bernard's eyes glazed over, and his body shook.

"Bernard... Bernard..."

Clearing his throat, Curtis shuts his eyes and focuses on the voice. Using his elven telekinesis, the younger tries to communicate, "Who are you? What do you want with Bernard?"

The voice fades away, and the head elf's body stops trembling. Bernard quickly swallowed his saliva and fixated his glazed eyes on Curtis.

"What is it, Bernard?"

The older stayed silent, staring blankly at Curtis, making him slightly uncomfortable.

"Curtis..."

The tiny elf jumped at the sound of the feminine voice, "Wh-what the..." Then glancing around the room to see no one around, Curtis realizes that the speaker is calling him in his head, "Y-yes?"