Father Time

The next day, Bernard uses his magic to contact Father Time, clarifying their dilemma about Alfina Alvin. When Father Time arrives, he glances at the elegant girl in Bernard's office, "I don't know what to say, Bernard. However, I can say someone brought you here for a reason." Father Time strokes his beard as Bernard groans inwardly. Alfina settled in Bernard's chair as she glanced back and forth between the two with her arms crossed over her chest. The child frowns at Father Time, "I'm brought here for a reason. What reason?"

Father Time pulls himself out of his thoughts and turns to the girl, "Alfina, everyone has some destiny to fulfill. If you came from the future to 1600, that means you have to do something extraordinary."

"Okayyy..." The girl confusingly stares at Father Time. The head elf faces Father Time, baffled at his answer to Alfina.

"Something extraordinary? Like what!?"

Father Time only shifted on his feet as the elf and child waited for him to answer. Bernard felt nauseous as Father Time glanced at the two nervously, "Well, I can't tell you-"

"Why not?!"

"Please, Alfina! Let me explain. If I tell you what happens in the future, it will alter the timeline." Father Time points out. The head elf faces Alfina, shocked at his answer as she sits there. Then Father Time sighed, "I'm sorry, there is nothing more I can do." Father Time gazes sadly at the two before disappearing back to his home.

Bernard drops his head in his hands and plops himself on the floor. Alfina jumps out of the seat and sits next to the head elf. The child crossed her legs and fiddled with her hands as they sat there silently. Bernard took in some deep breaths, trying to calm his nerves.

"Am I stressing you?"

"What?" Bernard lifts his head at Alfina with a frown.

"Am I stressing you?" She repeated, moving her hair out of her face.

"No," The head elf looks down, "I'm worried that he will find you."

"He?" Alfina glanced at him, unsure what he meant until it clicked, "Oh, him..."

Bernard sat up and groaned. His back popped as he stood back up on his feet; Alfina jumped on her feet and watched him closely. The child took Bernard's hand and inspected the bruises on his face. Thanks to Father Time, he was able to lighten the dark bruising but could not get rid of them completely.

"I'm sorry, Alfina. I don't know what to do anymore."

"Bernard, Father Time says that I am here for a reason. Whatever the reason, I'm here to help." Bernard turns to the girl and wraps his arms around her shoulders. Alfina noticed a camera on the table and stood up, "Hey, I know what might cheer you up!" She smiles at the elf as he watches her on the ground, "What?"

Alfina grabs the camera and sits back down next to the elf, "If, and when, I am able to return home, why don't we take a picture together? So that you can keep it over the years." Bernard chuckled lightly and nodded his head, "All right. A picture of us sounds good right now."

"Smile."