Unexpected Date

Scott stood by Carol Newman's door, determining whether or not to knock on her door, "Might as well wing it." He mumbles and raps on her door.

KNOCK!

KNOCK!

"Oh. Hi." Carol unlocks the door, carrying a pair of heels. Scott blinked at her, "Hi. Uh... It looks like you're going out. Sorry. I should have called." Scott stepped back from the door, about to turn around and depart.

"No, it's okay. Come in." Carol waves her hand, motioning for him to enter the warm house, "You sure?" He asked uncertainly.

"Uh-huh. Is there a problem?"

"No, no. I just... I wondered if, um... If you would... Do you want to go get some noodles? Or pie? But I don't want to keep you from your date, so..." Scott trailed off. Carol's mouth jerked upward, "Oh, it's not a date. It's the faculty Christmas party. Is that your idea of a night in the town? Noodles and pie?" She giggled, walking into the living room with Scott trailing behind her.

"Yes. What would be your idea?"

"Pizza and a movie." She sat on the arm of the sofa, placing the heels on her feet.

"Thick or thin crust?" Scott tucked his hands in front of himself. "Thin," Carol replied, chuckling.

"Good! Movie?"

"Two For The Road. Audrey Hepburn, Albert Finney." Carol stood up, facing Scott, her hands on her hips.

"Movie's okay, but the car was the star. '53 MGTD. Racing green, wire wheels... Beautiful."

"I'm impressed. That is a great car. My favourite car." She exclaimed.

"Didn't like driving 'em in the rain. You have to push it to start it. Other than that, it's perfect. It's perfect, though." Scott chuckled lightly, adverting his eyes to the floor, "I could drive you to your party." He proposed.

Carol studied Scott, "That would be great. Except for, eventually, I'm going to have to get home."

"Well, I... I could pick you up."

She appreciated his enthusiasm, "So you're going to drop me off, then come back and pick me up?"

"Yeah."

"Why don't you just stay?" Carol asked, grinning at him.

"All right, I'll stay."

"I'll get my coat. So, Mr. Andretti, what are you driving?" She opens her closet and reaches for her coat. Scott gives her an amusing smile as he unlocks the front door, "You know... I think you're gonna like it."

Carol perked up and ogled in astonishment. In front of her house was a horse-drawn sleigh. Before Scott could shut the door for her, he noticed a picture of Carol and Alfina together next to a Christmas tree. "When was this?" He pondered.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

"I noticed a picture of you and Alfina next to a Christmas tree," Scott hinted. Carol peeks at him, "She never told you?"

Scott's smile scantily fell, "Never told me, what?"

Carol hummed, "Her parents left her when she was fifteen. They never came back, and so I took her in." Scott came to be tight-lipped, frowning at the message Carol merely told him, "Where are her parents?"

"No one knows."

The sleigh ride went silent. Then, noticing Carol shivering from the cold, Scott pulled a blanket behind him and handed it to her, "Here, I don't want you to catch a cold." Carol nodded her thanks and swaddled the blanket over her legs, "Mind if I ask you something personal?" Carol consulted as Scott gripped the sleigh's reins, "Please."