This Is Not The Answer

"Maybe you can be. Okay, everyone, can I get the room for a minute? Thank you. Can I just...? One minute. Take a cocoa break. Have a nice long break. Relax, everyone. I want to show Santa some improvements on the pantograph. Thanks." Curtis waves everyone to the door before locking it.

He veers to Santa with a grin, "Walk with me. I've tripled the RAM and reconfigured the circuitry." Curtis makes his way to the machine.

"I see you've externalized the power source to make better use of the electromagnetic energy," Santa states, observing the giant machine fiddling with the straps to his shirt.

"No, it's just there cos it looks really cool." The tiny elf answers, adjusting some of the levers on the machine.

"Yeah, it does. Wait a minute. You tripled the RAM. I see where this is going. I am not getting in that machine." Santa argued, taking a few steps back.

"Besides, creating a copy of Santa won't solve our problems. The elves'll know." Bernard steps up to the tiny elf with a frown.

"But this would be a special toy!" Curtis points out, holding a screwdriver to the older one.

"How's that, Curtis?"

"I added a fuzzy logic circuit." Curtis counters, not realizing who spoke to him. The elf pauses before turning around and locking eyes with a young woman. Suspicious, Curtis slowly moves his head to Bernard, who nods his head towards her, then the woman.

The young elf stepped forward cautiously before sprinting to the woman and hugging her, "Alfina! You're here! We missed you!" He shouted joyfully. Alfina returns the hug grinning widely.

"About the toy, Curtis..." Santa held his chin in thought, staring at the pantograph.

Curtis releases Alfina and steps up to Santa, "The duplicate will look and think just like you. When you're with your family, dealing with Charlie, looking for a wife..."

"The toy will be up here melting in front of my fireplace."

"No, the toy Santa will be dealing with business up here."

Bernard strides over to Santa and raises a pointed finger, "I can deal with business up here. But, Santa, if the elves find out, we've made a switch... Aaggh! No! No! This machine is not the answer." Santa and Alfina scan Bernard's troubled face.

"I agree with Bernard, Scott," Alfina whispers.

CLANG!

Everyone spun around to the pantograph to see a mouse running. "Hey! Hey! Hey! You! You! Shoo!" Curtis shouts, trying to shoo the mouse off the machine.

*SQUEAK!* The mouse jumps on the conveyor belt, causing the machine to turn on, and the mouse rides up inside.

"Hold on. Whoa, whoa, whoa!"

ZAP!

RUMBLE!

ZAP!

WHIRR!

The mouse comes out from the other side with everyone staring at it and its plastic duplicate. Curtis peers down at the mouse, then Santa, "Look, you can't get much better than that. And I promise- it won't hurt a bit." Curtis declared. Santa's brow furrowed, shaking his head, "I'm goin' in." Curtis grins as Santa steps onto the conveyor belt. The pantograph rumbles and the belt moves forward as Santa stands still, entering the machine.

 The pantograph rumbles and the belt moves forward as Santa stands still, entering the machine