Santa Returns Early

The head elf grew more frightened as the days flew by, with only a week left till the elves' Master returned home. Alfina tried her best to lighten Bernard's spirits by being there for him, but even she grew worried. The two were next to the naughty-nice centre, looking over the list, and Curtis grabbed a cup of cocoa for the three. Alfina scanned through the names, hoping to find hers, but it wasn't there. With Santa gone, all elves had to check the list twice, even though they had their jobs to do. 

Bernard sighs after checking the list, "I'm sorry, Alfina. Your name's not here." The head elf paces back with a grim expression on his face. The child groans in frustration, "Oh, come on! I don't even know who I'm related to in this timeline!" Curtis stepped up to the frustrated girl and elf, "Don't lose hope, Alfina. Maybe Father Time's right! You are here for a reason."

Bernard nodded his head at the tiny elf, "Curtis is right, Alfina," The head elf faced the girl, "You're here for a reason, and we'll find out what it is." Alfina gave a faint smile to the head elf, "Thanks, Bernard." 

"BERNARD!"

The head elf was startled and quickly turned to see Quintin dashing toward them. Bernard notices the panicked look in Quintin's eyes, "Quintin? What's wrong?" The head elf called out.

The elf stopped in front of Bernard, "H-he's back! A week early!"

Curtis drops his cocoa mug, and Alfina's mouth hangs open. Bernard paled, and his body shook. Then, facing Alfina, he grabbed her hand and quickly bolted to his office; opening the door, the head elf pushed her inside, "Stay here!" Bernard ordered, "If you hear someone coming that isn't me, hide in the closet. I will be right back!"

Alfina nodded as Bernard closed the door and returned to the naughty-nice centre.

BANG!

The workshop doors slammed open as Santa marched inside. The elves stood stock still as their Master searched around the room. Finally, Santa's eyes land on the head elf, and Curtis, "You're lucky everything is exactly in order." He snarled. Bernard quickly swallowed as Santa continued his way to his office, "GET BACK TO WORK!"

The elves scampered away at the order. The older faces Curtis, "I have to hide Alfina." He whispered. The younger nodded, "Go!"

Moving quickly, Bernard kept an eye out for Santa as he sprinted to his office. Reaching the door, Bernard opens it to see Alfina is nowhere. The head elf turned to the closet, knocked on the door, and opened it. Curled in the corner, Alfina sat there. Finally, she snapped her head towards him, "Bernard..."

Bernard pulls her out, taking the girl's arm, "We don't have much time! I have to get you back to the house!"

Noticing the panic and fear on the older's face, Alfina complied and let him carry her out of the office. Bernard dashed down the stairs and passed the naughty-nice centre. However, before the elf could reach the doors, a shout nearly stopped him in his tracks.

"WHERE DO YOU THINK YOU'RE GOING?!"

Alfina gasps as Santa stands over the stairs with a bottle of whiskey. Then, out of willpower, Bernard bolted out of the workshop with Santa screaming at him to stop. The head elf thought his heart would burst out of his chest as he sped through the snow and into his own home.

Making it inside, Bernard sets Alfina down, panting hard. Alfina wraps her arms around the head elf's waist, "Bernard..." The elf trembled as he sank to the ground. Alfina rested her head on his chest, hearing his heart speeding away.

He wasn't supposed to see her. Now Bernard is going to get punished for hiding her here. Without realizing it, Bernard was beginning to have a panic attack. Alfina gasps and takes the elf's arm, "Bernard, breathe." She whispers. She could see Bernard shaking as the attack took hold of the elf in her arms.

Alfina sighed, knowing what she had to do,

"Just relax, my friend

You are overthinking

And even if there is a problem

There's a solution

Remember to breathe

Put your mind at ease

Soon this feeling's gonna pass

You will find relief

Just relax, my friend

You are overthinking

And even if there is a problem

There's a solution

Remember to breathe

Put your mind at ease

Soon this feeling's gonna pass

You will find relief."

After singing the song, Bernard's cloudy eyes cleared up and focused on Alfina, "A-Alfina?" He whimpered. The girl slowly nodded her head, "It's okay, Bernard. I'm here." She softly cooed.

Tears streamed down the elf's face as Alfina watched sadly, "Bernard, I'm here."

"He wasn't supposed to see you..." The head elf whimpered, "He wasn't supposed to..." Alfina frowned in thought, "What do you suggest we do?"

Bernard opened his mouth to answer, but a loud bang caused the two to leap to their feet before he could say anything. Bernard's front door slammed open, and Santa stood at the door with an angry scowl, "YOU PIECE OF SHIT!" He screamed. The head elf trembled as he stood before Alfina, protecting her from his Master.

Santa lunged at the elf and grabbed his shirt, tugging him out the door. Santa faces Alfina and grabs her arm. Holding a solid grip on the poor elf and girl, Santa dragged them to the workshop where the other elves stood, trembling at what their Master planned to do to their head elf.

Santa tossed Alfina to the ground but held Bernard by his neck. Alfina glares at Santa, "Let him go!" She shouted furiously. The elves' Master laughed, "Ha! How did a stupid girl like you end up here, huh?"

Bernard gasps as Santa tightens his grip, causing Alfina to growl unexpectedly, "Who do you think you are?" Santa smirked as he glanced at Bernard's face twisting in pain, "I'm their Master and Santa Claus to the children."

Alfina clenched her teeth together, "You're no Santa. And you're not their Master!" She screamed. Santa glares at the girl, "Who do you think I am?"

"Krampus."

Santa unknowingly loosens his grip on Bernard's throat, "What?! Krampus? What the hell is a Krampus?"

"You."

"She's distracting him!" Bernard realizes. The elf acts quickly by kicking Santa in the nuts, causing him to let go of Bernard's neck and double down in pain. The elves gasped as Bernard bolted to Alfina and took her hand, sprinting away from Santa.

"RUN, BERNARD! RUN!" The elves shouted as Santa glared after the running figures.

Using his teleportation, Bernard and Alfina teleported into a forest of trees. Alfina glances at Bernard to see him sway on his feet. The elf felt exhausted and unstable, "Alfina..." Bernard crumbles to the ground.

"Bernard!"