Fear vs. Confidence

TWANG!

The arrow sliced through the air and hit near the center of the target. Alfina drew back her hand and aimed again. 

TWANG!

The pre-teen stopped and studied her work. Each arrow pierced the center and met the bulls-eye. Bernard watched from a distance as the girl practiced her bow. Finally, the head elf glimpsed over his right to see Curtis make his way over, "Hey, Bernard." He smiled.

"Curtis," Bernard acknowledged the younger elf as he turned his attention back to Alfina. Curtis adjusted his hat as he peered over, watching another arrow fly in the air, "How long has she been working on her bow?"

Bernard didn't answer right away but watched as another whizzed by and hit the target, "Three hours."

Curtis gasps and faces Alfina, "Three hours?!" Alfina loosens another arrow, watching it hit.

Bernard nods his head as he continues observing the girl. The elf has become stressed and tense about Krampus returning and Scott Calvin being the new Santa. The head elf sighed, "Curtis, I'm worried."

The young elf scoffed and observed the distressed elf, "Like, I didn't know that, Bernard. You've been anxious for three months now!" Curtis blurted out, accidentally catching Alfina's attention.

"Bernard! I told you to let me worry about Krampus, and you worry about the new Santa!" She remarks, glaring over at the tall elf. The head elf chuckled nervously, rubbing the back of his neck, "I, uh, I know Alfina..." The human lowers her bow to the ground and struts her way over, "I know, you know. I just want you to relax, Bernard."

The head elf turns away from the frowning girl, showing signs of embarrassment over his attitude. Curtis stood there in silence, considering whether or not to leave the two alone. Finally, Alfina peered at the tiny elf with an unsure gaze, "Umm, Curtis? Could you please leave?" The little elf eyeballed the tension between the head elf and Alfina, "Oh, uh, sure. I will let you have your space." Curtis replied, walking away back to the toy factory.

Alfina checked to ensure that the elf had left before studying the head elf in front of her, "Bernard," She tried to comfort the depressed elf, "I told you to let me worry about him, okay? You have to trust me."

"I do trust you, Alfina. I can't help it if I'm-"

"Terrified?"

The elf felt ashamed and stared at the ground. Alfina sighed, wrapped her arms around the elf's waist, and rested her head on his chest; Bernard did not hesitate to return the hug and held on to her. Alfina took a deep breath, catching his scent of peppermint and chocolate. She loved his aroma; it calmed her and made her feel at peace. The girl snuggled against the elf's chest and grinned, "You smell like peppermint and chocolate." She mumbles quietly.

Bernard's cheeks heated up at her comment, and he pulled her closer to him with a smirk. The head elf peers down at the girl and notices something he hasn't before. Alfina Alvin, a twelve-year-old, looked beautiful in his eyes. She is a brave girl that would do everything she can to protect the elves. 

"Confident, smart, beautiful..." The list goes on in Bernard's mind. The elf blinked in surprise and pondered, "How could I think that?! She is a pre-teen! A human!" The elf felt a tug in his chest, and he stares at the girl wondering why he felt weird with the young girl in his arms. Finally, Alfina peeks up at Bernard with a grin, "Want to get some cocoa?" She offered. Bernard pulls away and nods his head, "Yeah, sure. I'll make it with extra chocolate." He replied.

The two went back inside the tall building and into the kitchen. Bernard grabbed the kettle as a few elves made their way around, baking cookies and sweets. Alfina sat on a stool with her hands on the counter, watching Bernard prepare the cocoa. Alfina's eyes explored the kitchen, and she noticed Judy pulling out a sheet of gingerbread cookies from the oven.

Judy sets the tray on the counter and gently puts a cookie on a small plate, "Want a cookie, Alfina?" She peeks at the girl with a smile. Alfina returns the grin and nods her head, "Yes, please."

Judy hands the twelve-year-old the plate as Bernard walks over with two hot mugs of cocoa, "Here we are," Bernard gives her the mug as he sits next to her. Alfina took the cup and sipped the hot beverage, "Mmm, delicious," She gushed. The older snickered, taking a sip from his cup. Judy hands Bernard a plate of cookies before returning to work with a knowing look.

"We need to talk," Alfina straightens herself on the stool before averting her eyes to the tall elf. Bernard tensed up as he waited for her to continue. Then, clearing her throat, Alfina rests her arm on the counter, "Bernard, I know you're afraid of Krampus returning, but you need to understand that I am your protector. It would be best if you had confidence in me. Not fear."

Bernard stares at her, then averts his eyes, "You're right, Alfina. But I'm not just afraid of Krampus attacking the elves. I'm afraid he will attack... me..."

"I know that Tom is long gone. He helped save you, and it turned out that he was an ancestor of mine," Alfina crossed her legs, "But I'm still here."

Bernard chuckled as he remembered Tom Venandi. The man cared for the elves like they were his own children; he even wrote a clause about Alfina. The head elf peers at the girl, "Tom wrote a clause once you returned home. The clause said that if Krampus returns, so shall you." Alfina was astonished and grateful at Tom's actions back in 1600, "Wow. Tom did so much for everyone. You all miss him?"

The head elf chuckled at the memories of Tom Venandi, "He was the best Santa we had. Any other Santas during the years were okay. However, since you named that man Krampus, any other Santa, we had respected us. Probably because of your clause." Bernard responded.

"Hahaha!" Alfina laughed, "Well, it sounds like those Santas didn't want to mess with the elves' protector!" The older laughed with her and continued eating the cookies and cocoa.

"No fear, Bernard,"

"Have confidence."