Failed Escape

He didn't know how much time past. He didn't want to look at the damage Krampus did to him. All he could feel was the discomfort from the blade skinning his abdomen; his back from being whipped by the leather strap now felt numb. Bernard couldn't swallow the saliva built up in his mouth because of the gag and tape. The coldness inside the cave felt like ice on his bare skin. The elf's chest rose and fell at an unsteady rhythm, his eyes shut, and his legs trembled as they struggled to hold him up. If his legs gave away, the collar around his neck would be the only thing holding him up. Bernard didn't want that to happen. It would be worse than Krampus's hands around his throat.

Bernard pictured Alfina standing before him, whispering comforting words, telling him everything was alright and it was just a dream. But Bernard knew she wasn't there. His wrists ached from the shackles, and the metal collar was tight around his neck.

"WAKE UP, YOU LITTLE SHIT!"

Bernard jolts at Krampus's hostile voice and snaps his eyes open. The Christmas Devil sneered at the elf before him, "Enjoy your little nap?" Then, he teased, "Well, I believe you're ready for another go." Krampus unchained Bernard's wrists and unlocked the collar from his neck. Then, taking the elf's arm, he slammed him to the ground and shoved Bernard's arms behind his back. The head elf fought back, refusing to give in. Krampus gripped Bernard's wrists with one hand, and with the other, he dug his sharp claws into the elf's back over the lashes.

"Mmmmff!" The gag in Bernard's throat muffled his cries of pain. A wicked grin crosses Krampus's grey lips. Bernard blinked the blurriness from his eyes and jerked his body around, trying to get the monster off him. But Krampus dug his nails in deeper. Managing to free one arm, Bernard pulls his arm away from Krampus and tucks it under him. Krampus snarled and grabbed Bernard by the hair, yanking it.

The elf's neck painfully snapped back, and a strangled moan vibrated in his throat. The Christmas Devil releases Bernard's other arm and grips his neck. Then, with a malicious grunt, Krampus throws Bernard across the room.

SMACK!

Bernard saw stars dance in his eyes; his head leaned against the wooden table. Krampus struts over to the dazed elf, "You want to fight back, slave? By all means, FIGHT BACK!" He screams and slaps Bernard across the face. Bernard glares at him with resentment and tries pushing himself off the cave floor.

Krampus instantly snatches Bernard and throws him again. Landing hard on his stomach, Bernard grabs the tape over his mouth and rips it off. Before he could get the gag out, Krampus slammed his foot on the elf's back and clutched his throat. Bernard struggles to remove the bony hand from his neck with one hand, and with the other, he manages to get the gag out of his throat.

Bernard wheezed and quickly tossed the disgusting handkerchief away before Krampus could stop him. Using both hands, Bernard grabbed the Christmas Devil's fingers and tried to pry them from his neck.

"Nnnnhghh!"

The elf managed to grab Krampus's hand and bit down hard.

"ARRGG!" Krampus screamed and pulled himself away, giving Bernard enough time to move. As fast as he could, Bernard stood up and bolted out of the chamber, wanting to leave it all behind.

Krampus dashed behind the poor elf with an insane glint in his eyes. The head elf didn't know where to go; he just ran.

SLAM!

Bernard was shoved to the ground by Krampus's hefty weight. The elf turns on his back and raises his arms above himself in time. The Christmas Devil leaped on the elf and grabbed his bruised wrists. Bernard grunted under the Devil. "L-let me go!" Bernard rasped; his throat was hoarse from the gag. Krampus growled and bared his teeth at the more petite figure under him, "You pathetic excuse for an elf! You think you can escape from me?!" The elf kicked the Christmas Devil in the gut, which infuriated Krampus more.

Bernard struggles in the tight grip of the Christmas Devil, not noticing that Krampus removed one hand as the other gripped his bruised wrists. Something cold touches Bernard's side below his ribs, forcing him to freeze. It was small but sharp. The elf's eyes widened; Krampus pressed a knife to his skin.

"Are you going to behave now?"

The elf's eyes drifted down to see the sharp tip of the blade between his ribs. "I'll make this a warning to you." Krampus sneered, making the elf stare at him. Then, pushing the edge more profoundly into the elf's skin, the Christmas Devil grinned maliciously.

"Hnnngh..." The elf winced. Krampus lifted the knife from Bernard's chest, then plunged it down. "AHHHH!" Bernard howled, his scream echoing around the cave walls. Krampus rips the blade out of the elf's side; blood drips off the tip as he wails from the newfound pain.

Bernard shut his eyes tightly, and tears leaked through his eyelids. Blood from his side streams down like a waterfall. His body shuddered from the wound. Grabbing the elf's hair, Krampus releases his wrists and punches the knife wound, enjoying Bernard's screams.

"S-STOP! P-PLEASE!" Bernard sobbed in anguish. Krampus released the elf's hair and spoke, "It's not over yet, Evergreen." He hissed. The Christmas Devil kicks the knife wound and punches Bernard in the face.

POW!

CRACK!

Bernard curls over, trying to protect his wound and face. As Krampus kicked his side, a sickening crack echoed in the cave. Time froze for Bernard. He couldn't breathe, and his chest ached.

Krampus broke a rib.

Krampus takes a breather after beating Bernard. He circled the elf, watching him struggle to get on his shaking hands and knees, spitting blood on the cave floor. The Christmas Devil looks down at him, at how he pathetically kneeled there, his hair dripping with sweat and blood hanging over his eyes, covering his face, blocking Krampus's view of freshly marred features. He takes a fistful of hair and jerks it back. Bernard cries out, hands instinctively reaching up and back to grab Krampus's wrist as he holds him there. They hold each other's gaze.

"There's a beautiful piece of work," Krampus says, surveying the cuts along the cheekbones and the bruises around the jaw. He grips the soft fistful of hair tighter and smiles as Bernard winces. The elf had no strength to use his legs because of the knife wound on his side. Thinking of a new punishment for the elf, Krampus covers Bernard's eyes and hauls him out of the cave.

The elf felt cold air around him, and it stung his body. Uncovering Bernard's eyes, Krampus shoves him to the ground. The elf blinked, realizing he was outside the cave and in the freezing snow. Krampus grabs the shackles, wraps them around Bernard's arms and legs, and to an outside chain. "Scream all you want, Evergreen. No one would hear you except the mountain of snow around you." Krampus mocked. A wicked thought crosses his mind, glancing at the half-naked elf. Krampus grabs the elf's pants and rips them off him, leaving the elf in his undergarments. Bernard shivered violently; his body throbbed in the cold. Krampus gave a complete laugh and strutted back inside, leaving the elf in the snow.