Seeing Isn't Believing, Believing Is Seeing

"How could you pick her?" Charlie yelled out once his father returned home after the Christmas Party and left Carol's house.

"I didn't."

"You don't care anymore." Charlie's voice rose slightly, and tears welled up in his eyes.

"I care more about you than anybody. But it's a two-way street. You won't confide in me." Scott answered.

"You want it? Here it is."

Scott hushes Charlie before leading him into the living room, "What? Talk to me."

"I don't live a normal life."

"You live a great life here."

"Just listen to me! My friends get to go around saying, "My dad's a plumber." "My dad's a pilot." "My dad's a dentist." You know what? My dad is the best thing of all, and I can't tell anyone. You have no idea how hard it is, walking around with that secret. And now you're going out with Principal Newman! And you don't even tell me about it. My whole life has become about secrets, and I hate it!" Tears finally poured out of Charlie's eyes as he yelled at his father.

"I'm sorry. Forget about Principal Newman, all right? And forget about Santa. I'm done. My time's up." Scott says as he glances at his watch to see he has no more magic. Charlie shook his head, "Who cares anymore?"

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Christmas Eve was tomorrow, and Scott and Lucy were playing a goldfish game, "Got any twos?" Scott asked.

"Hm. Go fish."

Curtis was losing control of the jet pack outside the house, "Whoa! Whoa! Whoa! Whooaahh!"

CRASH!

Scott lifts his head with a frown, "What was that?" Lucy shrugs her shoulders, "I don't know." Scott shakes it off and looks inside his mug, "Want some more hot chocolate?" He offers to Lucy.

"Mm-hm."

"Okay." He takes both mugs and walks into the kitchen as the doorbell rings, "Would you get that, honey?"

"Yeah, sure." Lucy stands up and makes her way to the front door. Opening it up, she sees Curtis brushing the snow off his shoulders, "Is S... Scott here?" He asks, almost calling Scott 'Santa'.

"Who are you?"

"Uh... Curtis, a friend from... Buffalo." Curtis lies.

"Are you an elf?" Lucy asks curiously.

The elf nervously chuckles, "Of course not! Why would you ask such a silly question?"

"How come you have pointy ears?" Lucy tilts her head to get a better look at his ears. Curtis had to think of something quick, "It's... because I never ate my green vegetables. Do you eat your green vegetables?" The question frightened Lucy as she reached for her ears.

"Uncle Scott!" She cries out, running away from the elf. Curtis closed the door behind him as Scott came around the corner, "Yeah, I'm right here. What's wrong? Oh... Curtis! What are you doin' here?"

"There's a little trouble at the... plant."

Taking the hint, Scott lowered himself to Lucy's level, "It's okay. Curtis is a very old friend. We have a large, uh... firm. We work together in..." He faces Curtis to see him whisper, "Buffalo."

"Buffalo? We work together in Buffalo. So... we're gonna talk business."

"What business?"

"It's none of your business."