Stopping Krampus

Alfina climbed up and entered the cave, observing the darkness before her. Then, remembering the route, she tiptoed inside, listening to every little sound of the cave. The wind is howling through the tunnels, with the water dripping from the cave ceiling. But the one sound she paid more attention to was breathing. Whoever was breathing beside her was her top priority. Finally, the pregnant mother found the chamber where Bernard was being held prisoner, but he wasn't there.

"Hello, Alfina."

Alfina jumped and spun around with her bow aiming behind her, "Krampus..." She snarled. The Christmas Devil stepped out of the shadows with Bernard in his grip. A knife pressed against his throat. The elf blinked at the protector, his eyes unfocused, and his legs dragged under him. He had no strength left in his body.

"What have you done to him!?" Alfina shouted. Bernard winced as her voice echoed in the chamber. The protector noticed right away and apologetically gazed at him. Krampus laughed, "That doesn't matter anymore, girl! Your elf is already dying, and I have an important meeting at Santa's Workshop." He tosses Bernard to the ground and disappears in thin air.

"Bernard!" Alfina sprints to the weakened elf and kneels before him. Bernard peers up at her as she tries to hold him closer, but he wraps his weak arms around her hips instead, his head falling into her lap. She bent over him instinctively, shielding his body with her own. She pressed her cheek to his forehead. Press a kiss to his temple. And then he breaks. Shaking violently, shattering in her arms, a million gasping, choking pieces she's trying so hard to hold together. And she promised herself then, at that moment, that she would hold him forever, just like she is, until all the pain and torture and suffering is gone, until he's given a chance to live the kind of life where no one can wound him this deeply again.

The elf slowly raises his hand to Alfina's stomach and touches it, feeling the baby kick, "You... have... to... stop... him... Snowflake." He rasped, gazing up at her.

"I can't do this without you."

"Alfina..."

"I will save you." She gasps, tears streaming down her eyes. Bernard's chest shook, "You don't know?" He whispered. "Know what? What are you talking about?" She questioned, thinking that Bernard was on the verge of hysterical because of his fever. The elf grabbed her hand and rested it on his blood-covered stomach, "Tom married an elf; you have Christmas magic. No matter what percent elf you have." The pregnant mother frowned in puzzlement, "Tom married an elf?" She stares at Bernard, "Is that why I have magic?"

Bernard hummed. Alfina pondered, and an unusual thought crossed her mind, "I can heal you..."

"Yes."

Alfina cradled Bernard's head against her shoulder, her eyes burning with venom and rage. Krampus is going to pay. Then, pressing her cheek against his, she began mumbling in elvish. Bernard moaned as his wounds slowly faded. The yellow ooze disappeared, and his ashen white skin slowly returned to its standard color. The only thing on his skin was the scars from the knife and whip on his back and stomach.

"Alfina..." Bernard whispered, catching the protector's attention, "You healed me."

"Physically, but Bernard-"

"It's okay, Alfina. Use your powers to transport us to the Pole." He grunted, trying to sit up. Alfina puts one hand on his chest and the other on his back, "Bernard, your clothes..."

"He took them, Snowflake. To make everyone believe I'm dead." Alfina helped him to his feet, keeping a solid grip so he didn't fall, "Alright, let's go." Concentrating, Alfina pictured them both in Bernard's office. A gust of wind hits them, and the feeling of good Christmas magic surrounds them, "We're here."