The Missus Clause

"Okay, try it now. Okay, all right. Here's what we need. Get one more bolt-on that flange, and it's ready for Christmas. Good work, guys. Whew! Perfect job on suspension, you guys. Thinkin' outside the box. I love it." Santa stood up from under the broad toy car he fixed and wiped the grease off on the rag he carried.

One of the female elves from the kitchen made their way over to Santa, "Do you want a cookie, Santa?" She offers with a smile.

Santa pretends to think, "Do I want a cookie?" He eyes the elf with a large grin, "Yes! What's fresh? Oooh!" The elf hands him a fresh chocolate chip cookie, "Sweet, just like you." Santa takes the cookie and pats the elf on the head. He then makes his way to one of the tables, noticing a problem with one of the toys, but he has a solution.

"Alexander, let's think. Take the hat off. Too much counterweight." Santa points out. The elf takes the hat off, and the toy's balance is fixed, "Thanks, Santa. You're the man."

"That's why they give me the big belly, so I don't fall over!" Santa pats his belly with a jolly laugh. Bernard and Curtis smiled as they followed the big man as he checked with the elves. The head elf paused, feeling his magic in his veins again. He can't see her. Not now.

"Hey, Joey! How's that static-free-tinsel coming?" Santa's voice pulled the head elf out of his thoughts, and peered up as Joey stared down at Santa with a smirk.

"Hey, guys, Santa wants to see the new tinsel," Joey called over his shoulder. Santa takes a bite of his cookie before he and Bernard get covered in tinsel. The head elf grumbles as Joey and his friends laugh.

"I could come up there and take care of this the ugly way." The elves' smiles dropped, "Or... we go outside and play some football." Santa remarked. The elves' smiles returned as they cheered and headed outside. Bernard tossed the tinsel off his head and eyed Curtis, "Curtis, you need to tell him right now!" He hissed.

"I don't know. He's so happy right now." The younger elf shrugs, "And why do I have to be the one to tell him?!" He shouts with an angry scowl.

"Because I'm the head elf. I don't give bad news. It's one of the perks of my seniority. Now, tell him!" The older fumed and followed Santa outside, with Curtis grumbling. Bernard stood next to the stairs as the elves gathered to watch the game. A vision appears before the head elf; a snow globe lies on a big bed with a blue flower pattern blanket on its side. A shadow crosses over the snow globe, and the vision disappears. The elf blinks and rubs his eyes, "I genuinely am sorry, Alfina." He incoherently mumbled. It wasn't the first time he would have a vision of the snow globe lying on its side, and Alfina's shadow would pass over it.

"Come on, pork chop. Bring it on." Santa taunts, snapping Bernard back to the present.

"Who you callin' pork chop, meatloaf?" The elf taunts back.

"Meatloaf?! You wanna talk some trash? I'll talk trash with ya. But first, I'm gonna blitz."

"Ready, set!" Joey shouts, holding the football.

"I'm comin' after you, buddy." Santa points at Joey.

The elves watching the game began the countdown, "Seven swans a-swimming! Six geese a-laying! Five golden rings!"

"Hike!" Joey yells out.

Joey's team surrounds Santa, blocking him from catching Joey, "Hey, who's got the ball? I can see it. Let go of me. He's too quick! He spins! He moves! He's on the way! And he might go all the... way!" Santa teases, managing to escape the elves.

"Rumblin', stumblin', bumblin'!"

The elves jump on Santa, forcing him to the ground with a triumphant laugh, "Oh, they pile on! Okay, you win! You guys aren't elves. You're wizards! No matter how many times you run that play, I never see it comin'." The elves push themselves off Santa as Bernard and Curtis approach the big man.