Falling masks (Loki)

"Brother, I look ridiculous", Thor complained as he put on his mask.
"Mother insists", I said as I put mine on.
"Mother and her crazy ideas", he rolled his eyes.
"See it as something positive. You might meet a lovely girl and who knows-"
"Brother!"
"What? I am just saying. Keep your eyes open", I teased.
"I'll keep them open to make sure you don't stab me."
"Ehehe", I laughed.

*YOUR POV*

"Do I look alright?"
"You look stunning", my father said as I walked down the stairs into our hallway.
"Thank you father."

He took my arm and we walked to our carriage. Night had fallen onto the realm. In the palace there was a party, organised by the queen. It was a masked party, classic.

Father and I were taken to the palace. I was nervous. What if I meet someone?
"Keep your eyes open. You might meet the man of your dreams. But be aware. Now that they're wearing masks, hiding their identity, they might pretend to be someone they aren't."
"Yes father."

We stopped. I looked out the window. A golden building, higher than the sky was right in front of me. We thanked our driver and entered the palace. Other girls and nobility were present. I heard daughters giggling about the princes, hoping to meet them.

In your dreams.

I looked up and saw Odin looking down from his balcony. His staff in his hand. Even though he wore a mask, you knew it was him. He is too recognizable.

We entered the ballroom that was already filled with guests. Frigga asked everyone's attention.

"Thank you all for being here. I hope you have a wonderful evening and please enjoy the wine and food. Let the feast begin!"
Everyone cheered and got back to minding their own business. In the middle of the room there were a few people dancing. I couldn't spot the princes. They must be somewhere else.

"Darling I'll be having a talk with the duke. Please enjoy yourself while I am gone."
"Yes father."
And then he left with an old man. I went to the buffet, picking up some fruits.

"What's a young beautiful maiden like you doing here alone", an unfamiliar voice asked me as he came standing next to me.
"I am here with my father." I didn't make eye contact with the figure. I didn't want to be bothered. But his voice, it lured me to him.
"Right. And where is he now?"
"Gone."

I turned my head to have a look at him. His mask had the looks of a snake. His clothes were black and dark green. His hair was as dark as the night.
"Who are you", I asked him.
"People like to call me Silver Tongue."
"That explains the costume."
He chuckled and took my hand.
"And who might you be?"
"(Y/n)."
He repeated my name and kissed my hand.
"Shall we take a walk?"

We walked away from the party, from the crowd. He took me to the other side of the palace. The hallways were empty. Only some candlelights and the night sky illuminated our way. The sound of our footsteps broke off the silence.

"Are you sure we're allowed to be here", I asked him. It seemed like a more private area from the royals.
"I am a loyal friend of the family. I know this palace. Everything's fine."
"Seems like I will have to trust your word then."
He nodded a little and looked back down at his feet.

"Tell me about yourself", he asked me. I started telling him about my family's status, my past and future. I told him I long to find someone who loves me for who I al and he could only agree since he waited for the same thing.

While talking I took a notice on how he talks, walks... He was rather elegant and a bit dominant as well. He wasn't the kind of person you wanted to mess with. There was something mysterial, magical and mostly royal about him. He had the elegance of a king.

His voice. It was so soothing. I could listen to him for hours. It was warm yet also cold. He asked me for my hand to which I agreed. His skin. It felt colder than any other other's skin. It sent me shivers down my spine. 

"So Silver Tongue, quite a unique name. Where does it come from?"
"My brother and his friends gave it to me", he started.
"They say I always talk my way out."
"So you're a good liar?"
"I wouldn't say liar Lady (y/n). I prefer trickster."
"And a little mischief perhaps? Since you and your brother always seem to get in trouble."
"Oh yes, I might be the one of mischief, but my brother is more into lightning."

What?

"What did you just say?"

He looked behind him before he pushed me against the wall. His hands were on my shoulders, slowly going up and down to calm me down.
"What are you doing?"
"Calming you down", he shout-whispered.
"Who are you?"
He fell silent. He looked down, took a deep breath and reconnected his eyes to mine. With a motion of his hand his mask faded away. 

"Your highness!?" 
"Hello."

A/N

A shorter one-shot with an open ending for you to fill out..... I hope you've enjoyed it. I love you all!

! not my photo !