。sixty 。

-"Okay, enough

-
"Okay, enough."
-

Alina sat down in the briefing room beside Steve with the rest of the Avengers. Secretary Ross came in, wanting to discuss something. Tony had shown up as well, choosing to take a seat in the corner.

Ross sighed, "Five years ago, I had a heart attack and dropped right in the middle of my backswing. Turned out it was the best round of my life because after 13 hours of surgery and a triple bypass, I found something 40 years in the Army had never taught me. Perspective. The world owes the Avengers an unplayable debt. You have fought for us, protected us, risked your lives, but while a great many people see you as heroes, there are some who would prefer the word 'vigilantes'."

"What word would you use, Mr. Secretary?" Natasha asked with a smirk.

"How about 'dangerous'?" Ross offered. "What would you call a group of US-based, enhanced individuals who routinely ignore sovereign borders and inflict their will wherever they choose and who, frankly, seemed unconcerned about what they leave behind?" The screen behind him clicked on and began to play the battle of New York. "New York."

People were screaming loudly as the snake-like creatures flew over the city, smashing into the tops of buildings. Guns were being shot and Hulk slammed into walls harshly, killing aliens as they came down.

"Washington D.C."

The next clip was shown of the hellicarrier falling into the water, basically drowning the people that walked past. Sam glanced down as the footage played.

Ross looked at Alina and she raised an eyebrow, "An unknown scrapyard."

Footage played of Wade killing numerous people, Colossus fighting Angel and Negasonic using her abilities to push crates into people. It then flickered to the platform being broken and many innocent people who just wanted to be enhanced or cured for their families sake, lying on the floor in boxes, dead as Wade and Alina left.

"Sokovia."

It showed buildings falling into Eva other, peoples shouts of horror sounded in the background. Tony leant his elbows on his knees and watched with a blank face.

"Lagos."

Ross showed the building burning because of Wanda's accident. People were carried out of the building on stretches and a woman was on the floor, dead and covered in dust while people helped loved ones walk.

Wanda glanced down and Alina saw, "Okay, enough."

"For the past four years you've operated with unlimited power and no supervision. That's an arrangement the governments of the world can no longer tolerate. But I think we have a solution." Ross placed down a thick book of paper, sliding it to Wanda. "The Sokovia Accords. Approved by 117 countries, it states that the Avengers shall no longer be a private organisation. Instead, they'll operate under the supervision of a United Nations panel, only when and if that panel seems it necessary."

"The Avengers were formed to make the world a safer place. I feel we've done that." Steve spoke up.

"Tell me, Captain, do you know where Thor and Banner are right now?" Ross asked. "If I misplaced a couple of 30 megaton nukes you can bet there'd be consequences. Compromise. Reassurance. That's how the world works. Believe me, this is the middle ground."

"So, there are contingencies." Rhodey said.

"Three days from now, the UN meets in Vienna to ratify the Accords." As Ross said this, Steve looked to Tony who glanced down before meeting his eyes. "Talk it over."

"And if we come to a decision you don't like?" Natasha questioned.

"Then you retire." Ross mused and Natasha smiled to herself.

Alina sat back in her chair, twisting her ring around her finger as she thought. Retiring from being an Avenger sounded nice because she wouldn't have the weight on her back of always having to be the best, as she was taught from her birth. Wade wouldn't stop being a mercenary, and she knew that and was perfectly fine with it, but that didn't mean that if she wasn't an Avenger they would see each other less. In fact, they'd see each other more than they would have.

{692}