I'm A Sucker For You.

꧁𝐇𝐞𝐫 𝐒𝐢𝐧𝐟𝐮𝐥 𝐎𝐛𝐬𝐞𝐬𝐬𝐢𝐨𝐧꧂

𝐀𝐮𝐭𝐡𝐨𝐫

The sky was dark, dark as a raven's wing. The breeze was cold, cold as a corpse fresh from the mortuary. The trees loomed overhead, and having been stripped of their leaves, the branches resembled long, gnarly fingers— reaching out to grab the first unsuspecting victim who came trotting along.

The snow crunched underneath her boots like gravel, and the smell of cigarette smoke hung heavily in the air. People taking a nightly stroll through the park stopped to watch her as she passed by. Some watched her with disgust, others with pity, and few with lust. She could feel their eyes drilling holes in her back and instinctively clutched her coat closer.

Although two sizes too large and stained with old blood, it brought her warmth and comfort. Shivering with the frigid temperatures, she stuffed her hands in the coat's pockets in hopes of keeping them warm. Suddenly her stomach began to growl and she let out a regretful sigh, wishing she had something—a hotdog, a slice of bread or even a few crackers—to vanguish her hunger.

It's been four hours since she's been walking, four hours since she's been searching; searching for a place— anyplace— in which to spend the night. She had hoped to find a shelter or a charity before sunset, but was unsuccessful. Tears stung her eyes as she envisaged a long, cold, lonely night under some drafty bridge, or on top a park bench, where she would be at the mercy of the elements.

"Hello, Miss? Are you alright? Is something wrong?"

Sniffling, the young girl turned slowly around and saw who spoke. It was a man in his forties, with neatly trimmed, wavy blonde hair and a square shaped face. His dark brown eyes held concern as he surveyed the girl's pitiful condition, with her uncombed terracotta hair and scruffy attire.

"Just what are you doing out here all alone? Central Park is no place for a young thing like you to be wandering around with no parents or no adult supervision," he said.
"I..I've been looking for my boyfriend. We were supposed to go dancing this evening, b..but then some bad people looking for him came to my apartment," she whimpered. "When I told them I didn't know where he was, they attacked me. I m..managed to get away, but before that, I tripped and fell down the stairs."

The man's eyes widened and he wrapped an arm around the girl's shoulder and pulled her close. "You poor thing, I can't believe someone could be so wicked. Come with me, I'll take you to my house. I'll give you some clean clothes, a hot meal and a bed for the night. Then in the morning, we'll go to the police station to file a report and find your boyfriend."

"Really? D..do you promise?" she asked softly as she looked up into the man's face, her hazel eyes filled with hopeful prospect.
He smiled and playfully tweaked her nose. "Of course my sweet angel, I'll take good care of you. Now come with me, let's get out of this blistering cold. I'm sure you'd love to have a cup of hot cocoa."

The girl's bottom lip quivered and she slowly nodded her head. "I think I'd like that. Thank you Mister."
"You're welcome sweetie," he told her as he started off in the opposite direction, holding the girl snug against him as they walked. When they were out of the park, he went straight to his car, which was parked under a streetlight.

Opening the passenger side, he ushered her in. When the both of them were safely inside, he reversed and drove off. Several minutes later, the car pulled up to a luxurious looking brownstone house on 146th Street and the girl peeped out the window, her eyes widening in awe at the sight that met her eyes. "Do you live here by yourself Mister?"

"Yes sweetie, I do," he replied.
"Wow. Do you have any servants?"
"We have a housekeeper, but she's off tonight."
"I see."

The man parked the car and got out, helping the girl out of her own seat. She stumbled a bit due to her weakened form, but he was quick to catch her. Together they walked up the paved driveway and the man unlocked the front door and let her inside. They walked past the living room, past the kitchen and up the carpeted stairs which led to the first floor.