Stepping Up Your Game.

𝐉𝐚𝐬𝐦𝐢𝐧𝐞

After I dropped Andrès off at school, I drove to St Francis and parked in the nearly full parking lot. Climbing out, I slung my bag over my shoulder, picked up my laptop bag and started walking towards the entrance. As usual, St Francis College was brimming with students from freshmen to seniors as they walked up and down the halls on their way to their respective classrooms.

This morning I had Economics with Professor Greene, Interior Design with Professor Nell and after interval, Biochemistry with Professor Hart. Just as I entered lecture hall B-4 where sophomore Economics was being held, I saw that mostly all the students were already here, prepping for class and chatting with their peers.

As midterms were approaching, everyone was trying to stuff as much knowledge into their brains as possible. Some came as early as six am and spent an extra two hours reading up on material in the library or doing research in the computer labs. Some went as far as enrolling in cram school and taking after-school lessons.

I too contemplated taking lessons, but then I realized it probably wouldn't be fair to Valentino or the family. I was allowed to attend college during the week and have study sessions at the library and that was enough. Besides, I missed Valentino too much during the day to even consider spending evenings away from him too.

"Jas, what're you standing around for? Get your ass down here!"

I glanced down and saw Evelyn waving at me from her seat in the second row where the three of us usually sat for lectures. I smiled and walked down the steps and took my seat next to her. Over the past five months, Evelyn, Collette and I had grown incredibly close. We would sit together during class, eat at the same table at lunch and study in a group for tests and exams.

We were so close, we even shared notes with whichever one of us couldn't make it to class as we studied practically the same subjects. The only problem lied in them finding out about my involvement with the Mafia. I didn't want them to know anything about me being the wife of the Don of the Italian Mafia or the daughter of a Colombian crime boss. The less they knew about my double life, the safer and the better off they'll be.

"So, how was your weekend? What'd you do, where'd you go?" Collette asked interestedly.
I took out my laptop and set it on the desk along with my writing materials and Economics notebook, taking that time to think about what I would say.

"Well I disguised myself as poor, homeless girl and used my feminine charms to lure an associate of a drug cartel to his apartment so my husband and I could extract information out of him via torture methods. Then we killed him and went home to take a shower and fuck each other's brains out."

Yeah that didn't sound too good to me either.

So I instead I said, "Nothing much. I was at home relaxing for the most. I went for a walk in Central Park on Saturday night and I had a study session at the library yesterday."
"Say what? You went for a walk? In Central Park? At night?!" Evelyn exclaimed, her eyes wide with disbelief. "Girl are you insane? Central Park is a hotspot for late night murders, muggers and pickpocketers. Not to mention crackheads and drug dealers."

"Would you please relax?" Collette asked exasperatedly. "Central Park is a lovely place, especially at night. Mother and Father used to go for carriage rides all the time during Christmas."
"Well that was different. They were in a carriage, not out in the open. They also had a guard with them and Father used to carry-"
"A can of pepper spray. Yes we know."

I smiled and brought out my water bottle to take a sip. Evelyn has a tendency to babble sometimes and whenever she did, Collette would either interrupt her or hit her a light tap to get her to stop talking. It happened so frequently, I would often wonder just how many times Evelyn would be caught babbling and Collete would have to shut her up.