Love And Family: Part Two.

𝐉𝐚𝐬𝐦𝐢𝐧𝐞

"Okay. So I'll be writing about Oxytocin, And Its Effects In The Treatment Of Psychopathic Disorders," Morgan decided. "What about the rest of you?"
"I'll be writing about Tumor Growth and the Biological Factors that Precedes it," Collette said. "Evelyn's topic is The Function of Gestation Periods in Mammals."
"Mine is The Study of Chemical Reactions in the Human Body Through The Use Of Hormones," I added.

"Great. Maybe tomorrow after class we can all head to Jasmine's house to do some research," Morgan said smilingly.

I choked on my Americano and Evelyn quickly tapped my back until I was stable once more. Come to my house to do research? "Oh I don't think that's such a good idea. My house is... really loud. My cousins make a lot of noise during the day and my little brother plays his music on full blast during the afternoon. There's no way we'll be getting any peace and quiet at my place. Sorry."

"Oh I'm sure we can find a quiet room to study," Morgan laughed. "After all you live there too don't you? Can't you just ask your family to keep it down for a little bit?"
"I could, but that wouldn't make much of a difference. Besides, we have the public library. I go there to study all the time, it's great."
"But the public library is so far away from where I live. I have to take the bus from Flushing and drive all the way to midtown Manhattan. Hey, isn't there a library in Clinton Hill? That's where you live isn't it Jasmine?"

I smiled nervously, desperately searching for a way to distract Morgan and stop her from asking any more questions. I couldn't afford for her or the girls to get curious about my lifestyle and start questioning why I never invited them over. Just as I was about to make up some excuse, the bell rang, signalling the end of fourth period.

"Lunchtime ladies. Time to put the books away," Collette announced as she and Evelyn rose off their chairs and started putting their books and papers into their bags.
"Finally. I am positively starving," I declared, thanking my lucky star for the diversion. "I'm just gonna use the restroom real quick before we head out okay? Be right back."

Grabbing my bag, I left the library and hustled to the restroom, almost colliding with the wall as I did. Pressing my hands on the sink, I took a deep inhalation of breath and shakily let it out. That was close. There was no way I could ever let anyone know about the double life I led.

It was far too dangerous for them to get involved. As far as they knew, I was simply a seventeen year old girl who attended college and liked to spend time with her friends while studying diligently in her spare time. Not a cold-blooded killer who was married to the Don of the Italian Mafia and killed people for a living.

Evelyn and Collette were the only two normal people in my life. I didn't want to have to lose them by letting them get mixed up in the Mafia. It broke my heart thinking about how I may have to stop being friends with them if they were to remain unharmed. But it was probably for the best.

"Jasmine? Are you almost finished in there?" Evelyn called out from behind the door.

Not wanting them to see how upset I was, I splashed some cold water on my face and quickly washed my hands. When I was sure I was calm enough, I walked out of the restroom, forcing myself to smile. "Sorry to keep you girls waiting. Where's Morgan?"
"She said she has something to take care of and that we should go to lunch without her," Collette informed.
"Alright. Let's go to the cafè across the road. Who's buying?"

"Collette."
"Evelyn."

My eyes darted between the two sisters and I had to bite my lip to keep from laughing out loud. This always happens at lunchtime. Whenever the question as to who was buying lunch arose, both Collette and Evelyn would simultaneously volunteer the other. It was quite comical to witness.