And She Came Like A Ray Of Sunshine.

𝐉𝐚𝐬𝐦𝐢𝐧𝐞

I woke up the next morning to the smell of freshly brewed coffee. Sitting up in bed I stretched my arms above my head and released a yawn. I stole a glance at the clock. Seven fifteen. Valentino was still fast asleep next to me so I slowly got out of bed and went about conducting my morning routine.

I took a warm shower, brushed my teeth and changed into a powder blue sundress and a pair of white sandals. I also slipped some silver bangles on my wrists and a pair of silver crescent moon shaped earrings. I applied my usual amount of makeup—eyeliner, mascara and lipgloss— and left the room, grabbing my phone on the way out.

Downstairs my mother was sitting on the couch talking with Marcello and Emilia with the dogs fast asleep in front of them.
"Good morning Marcello, Emilia," I greeted.
"Hello Jasmine. My you're looking pretty this morning. All dressed up for your husband are you?" Emilia teased.

"No this is pretty basic for me," I tell her as I give my mother a hug from behind. "Buenos dias Mamá."
"Buenos días, mi amor," Mom said lovingly. "Are you hungry? I was just about to start making breakfast."
"That's okay Mom, I'll make breakfast this morning."

"Oh yes. I've been eagerly waiting for a chance to taste Jasmine's cooking," Marcello spoke up. "I thought she'd be the one making dinner last night but then her little uprising got in the way of that."
"Blame it on Valentino. He can't seem to know what to say and what not to say to and around me," I laughed.
"Yes I may have to have a little talk with my godson regarding that. He needs to know how to speak to his wife."

Upon hearing this my face showed surprise. "I didn't know Valentino was your godson Marcello."
"That's right my dear, both he and Damen. Forgive me for neglecting to tell you this earlier," he apologized.
"That's okay. So if Damen and Valentino are your godsons, I guess that makes Sabrina and I your goddaughters-in-law."
"Yes, I suppose it does."

I laughed and patted his knee before going into the kitchen to begin making breakfast. I wanted to make something I myself ate in my childhood, something I haven't eaten in a long time. After making sure I had all the necessary ingredients I got to work.

The first thing I did was preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit, line three baking sheets with parchment paper and spray them with a little cooking butter. Then I made a dough with cornmeal, salt and water. This was for the Arepas which were little corncakes that were very popular in Colombia. Arepas for Colombians were like bread for Italians and could be eaten at any time of the day as snacks, appetizers, side dishes or a full meal.

I grabbed a handful of the cornmeal dough, formed them into balls and pressed them into circles in the palms of my hands before placing them on the parchment paper. I repeated this process until all the dough was gone. Sliding the baking sheets into the preheated oven I closed it and turned on the light so I could monitor them while they baked.

Arepas could eaten with cheese, ham, eggs or basically anything you wanted. Personally I loved to eat them fresh off the fire with a slathering of butter. Back home Mom made these all the time for us for breakfast and I've grown to adore them. And now I was making them for Valentino's family. Well and mine.

At my wedding I didn't just gain a husband, I gained the entire Guerrero package.

"Jasmine? Cara mia where are you?"

"Speak of the devil and he shall appear," I giggled as I washed and dried my hands and went to the living room where Valentino was waiting. Not just him but Dad and Damen as well. When I was directly in front of him Valentino placed his hands on my hips and eyed me intently. "Princess what have I told you about sneaking out of bed while I'm asleep?"