The Right To Remain Silent

Published on 07/07/2022

Previously on NCIS Family

"I heard you earlier, please don't kill my mom. She is still related to me."

"But she shouldn't be! She deserves it. That... thing ... did unspeakable things to you."

"I know Tony but I don't want you getting locked up because you killed my mother."

I am crying again and I can't speak. My throat hurts from crying too much. So, I just lift Jeanne into my lap and hug her as tight as I can. My face is buried into her neck, my hands around her waist. Her legs wrap around me as she melts into my hug.

DO DO DO DOOOO 

Tony's POV:

Dad wakes me up by gently shaking my shoulder. He is holding his finger up to his mouth to make sure I stay quiet.

"C'mon, grab your gun. We have a search warrant," he whispers.

"What? We have an active case?" I whisper back. He looks at Jeanne in my arms.

"Rule 38." Your case, You're lead.

"Oh, okay. Five minutes?" 

He nods. When he walks away, I gently move Jeanne off of me and cover her back up with the blanket. I grab a pen and paper and write a quick note.

Hey Jeanne!

We have to go somewhere but the little twins and Abby will be here! Can you watch them for us?

Thanks!

Tony

I set the note halfway under her phone and head up to my room to change. I put on my work clothes and jacket, grab my gun and my phone, and head to the kitchen. 

Dad is in the kitchen putting the warrant into his inside jacket pocket and putting his gun in its holster. Even though Jeanne's house is right next door we need to be fully ready and prepared.

"Ready? " Ziva says coming into the room.

"Ready as I'll ever be."

Everybody goes out the front door, I stay in the back, checking on the peacefully sleeping Jeanne once more.

We arrive at the front door and Dad nods toward me.

"FEDERAL AGENTS. WE HAVE A WARRANT TO SEARCH YOUR RESIDENCE," I yell as I pound on the door.

No answer.

"Mrs. Benoit, we have a warrant! Please open the door!"

Again, no answer.

I look to my parents for the go-ahead. I get two nods.

First, I try the handle. It's locked. I kick down the door. 

I go in first with Ziva right behind me. Mom and dad start by going into the kitchen and dining room while Ziva does the basement and I sweep the living room. I hear various 'Clear's' before we all head upstairs.

I point Ziva toward Jeanne's room. I only know it's Jeanne's room because of the positioning, I know which window is hers. Despite the three of us being best friends since we were born, we have never been allowed into her house.

"Mrs. Benoit, please slowly stand up and put your hands on top of your head," I say to Jeanne's mother as I find her sitting in a chair in her room. She does as I say.

"So, the brat finally got her fed boyfriend to step in. What did the child tell you?" she asks, glancing over at a pocket knife on her left. 

"DAD! KNIFE!"

As I yell, she reaches for it and I'm on top of her in a second. I grab her arms and push them behind her back.

"You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say can and will be used against you in a court of law. You have the right to an attorney. If you cannot afford an attorney, one will be provided for you. Do you understand the rights I have just read to you? With these rights in mind, do you wish to speak to me?"

610 words