Not So Good News...

Published on 3/06/2021

Previously on NCIS Family

"Get some sleep, maybe Ellie can be discharged tomorrow."

"I don't think I can Abba. If I can't fully see at sundown they will have to do some tests and I might have to go back into surgery," Ellie says sorrowfully.

"They said I might be able to be discharged in a couple of days if Ducky checks my wounds every couple of hours."

"That's good at least!" Tony says.

"It is sundown now Ellie," I say.

"Oh no. I still can't fully see."

-Theme Song-

Tony's POV:

"Everything is black around the corners of my right eye Abba. I'm losing my vision."

"Doctor!!" I hear Abba calling outside for a doctor. A doctor comes in and immediatly starts checking Ellie's eyes. 

"Ouch! That's bright," Ellie says.

"Good, you can still see light. How many fingers am I holding up?" He is holding up 3 fingers.

"1." Nick starts crying. Dad steps out of the room holding his phone and shaking. Ziva follows him. (A.N. I'm going to have Tony call Gibbs and Jenny "Dad and Mom" instead of "Abba and Ima" to shake things up a bit :) )

Ziva's POV:

I follow Abba outside. He calls Ima.

"Jenny, you, Abby, and Tim need to come to the hospital. It's Ellie. No, don't worry. I'll explain when you get here." He hangs up and turns towards me. He's crying so I walk up and hug him.

"She will be fine Abba."

"We don't know that Ziver."

"Let's call it my Gibbs-Gut. I just know okay?"

"Fine."

"And if she is, I get to say 'I told you so'," I say that in a mocking tone, which makes him laugh. We walk into the room and Ellie is just laying there, staring off into space. Nick is laying in his bed, crying. Tony is sitting on his chair, arms resting on his knees, looking down with one hand on his forehead.

 Tony is sitting on his chair, arms resting on his knees, looking down with one hand on his forehead

We go sit down and wait for Ima, Abby, and Tim to arrive. 

Tony's POV:

I should have been out there tracking Ellie and Nick down but instead I was at my desk typing useless things into my computer search bar. Every time I tried to get up, Dad would just yell at me to sit back down. Now that I think of it, I shouldn't be so rough on myself, we were all going through the same thing. It wouldn't of helped Ellie and Nick if I went out and got myself killed.

I'm just really glad that Nick pays attention on the way to crime scenes and back. He was so strong, emotionally and physically. He carried Ellie for 10 miles and kept her at bay. It only took him 14 hours. If he was sprinting and never ran out of breath it would still take him that long, but he had Ellie on his back, he is 8 years old, 6 gunshot wounds, multiple knife cuts, grease and acid burns, and to make it worse, 1 of the wounds was on his foot, and 2 of them were in his legs. He is a really strong kid.

Mom, Tim, and Abby still aren't here but the doctor comes in to talk to us.

"Nick's wounds are healing nicely. We have put stitches in and covered the stitches in a special glue that will make it heal faster. If you think he is ready, he can go home tomorrow morning."

"I think he is ready," Dad says.

"Now, about Ellie. We have to take her for a CT Scan now, but unless the results are really bad she can also go home tomorrow morning."

"Thank you doctor," I reply.

"They will both have to come in for weekly checkups, and Ellie will have to come in every time we make progress or find something regarding her condition."

"Okay, that's fine," Dad replies.

"Someone can come with her to her CT Scan if she wishes."

"Nick?" Ellie asks the doctor.

"No, he still has to stay in bed for now."

"Tony?" she asks.

"Yeah, I'll come with you Kiddo!" I tell her, surprised that she asked me.

Ellie gets in her wheelchair and wheels herself to the door.

"Ellie, you'll crash."

"Fine, Tony? Will you push me?"

"Yeah."

On the way to the scan she closes her eyes and rests. When we get there we help her get up on the part she lays on and we go into the other room where we can look at the images.

-15 minutes later-

"Uh oh..."

"What is it doctor," I ask carefully.

"There is brain damage, I'm not sure how big it is yet."

"Is she going to be okay?"

"I don't know. She can still go home tonight and we will call your dad with the results tomorrow at noon."

"Ok. Is it okay if I tell my family?"

"Yeah. They are your family and you should be the one to tell them. I do suggest not telling Nick. The bad news could send him into shock which might lead to a coma. Since he was also hit multiple times he may also have brain damage, but it's not enough to need a CT Scan."

"Ok, thank you doctor."

"I have some other patients to tend to. I trust you know your way back to their room?"

"Yes doctor, thank you again."

"I do what I can." With that, he walks away. At this point, Ellie is back in her wheelchair, waiting for me. I walk in there and get sown on  my knee in front of her.

"Ellie..."

"I know Tony. Something's wrong."

"Yeah, you have brain damage. They don't know how big yet, but you can still go home tomorrow morning. They are going to call Abba with the results at noon. We will all be at the NCIS building because none of us can go back to school yet."

"Why?"

"Do you remember Soraya, Asa, and Osman?"

"Yeah, they were sort of scary!"

"Abraham is there littlest brother." She gasps.

"Since we didn't know about him, we don't know if they have any more siblings that are off the radar."

"Oh, ok." I start wheeling here back to the room. We pass many nurses and they all say, "Hi Ellie!"

"You know every nurse?" 

"Most of them. These nurses go around to cheer kids up. That's their main job!"

"Cool!"

We get back to the room and I wheel Ellie over to her bed and help her get in. Everybody else is sitting on the edge of their chairs, or pacing. Mainly Dad. Tim, Mom, and Abby are here now.

"Everybody? I think we should all go out to the hall to talk."

"Okay," somebody says.

1150 words