Twenty Three

William Barlowe

We stayed a safe distance away from one another as we walked through the quad to Liam's car. I wish I could just take his hand right here and flaunt our relationship. Flaunt the handsome man on my arms just to show everyone he's mine.

I'm still in shock at Liam's request of me coming to the cemetery with him. I never in a million years thought he'd want me to come with him.

Well maybe not a million years, but at least not for a long time.

His request, or confession... Whatever you want to call it made my heart flutter. Him even considering bringing me to Antonio's grave is proof of how much he cares about me.

The way he talks about how much he used to love him, and how special he was to Liam made me know just how important this is to him.

I couldn't say no. I didn't want to say no.

We quickly made it to his car, and headed off to the flower shop. He pulled up a few minutes later and opened my car door for me.

He's always, always a gentleman.

"Thank you, good sir." I said, tipping the invisible hat on my head.

He laughed and shook his head, placing his arm around my shoulder.

"Come on you goofball." He said.

We stepped inside and are instantly met with the fresh floral scent of a hundred different types of flowers.

"This is probably the most colorful place I've ever seen!" I exclaimed.

We looked around for a few minutes, before stopping at a gorgeous bouquet of white lilies.

"They're beautiful." I said, drawing my finger along the smooth petal.

"I think they're perfect." Liam stated with a distanced smile.

I picked up the flowers and walked up to the front, taking my wallet from my pocket.

"What're you doing, Will? You don't have to get those!" He blurted out rapidly.

"Please. I wouldn't buy them if I couldn't afford it, and I can. I'd love to do this for you." I grinned sheepishly.

"Alright. Thank you, Will. I appreciate you doing this." He answered with a grateful smile.

***

Forty five minutes later, we arrive at the cemetery. It seems like the sun's disappeared into the depths of the clouds, leaving behind an eerie, and gloomy atmosphere in it's wake.

I wiped my sweating palms on the top of my jeans, taking a relaxing breath of air as we got out.

Liam was quiet most of the drive, looking to be deep in thought. I offered to drive, but he insisted.

He took my hand and squeezed tightly as we walked down the cemented path of the graveyard.

"It's just this way." He spoke sadly.

We approached a black tomb. One that stood out from all the other surrounding it. The name on the front read "Antonio Giovani"

Liam's hand slid across the top of the tomb before he kneeled down and replaced the old flowers with the new ones.

"Hi, my love." He said quietly.

"I brought someone here for you to meet. I hope that's okay."

Liam held his shaky hand out to me, and I took it with a small smile, kneeling down beside him.

"Hi, Antonio." I said shyly.

"Antonio, this is Will... He's - Well, he's very special to me." He said.

He took a quivering breath before continuing. "Will is my boyfriend. He's been absolutely amazing to me from the time I've gotten to know him. He's helped me through some rough times more than he knows, and for once in my life, I feel like I can finally breathe again. I feel like I'm living for the first time in years."

"He's brought me a happiness I never thought I'd feel again." Liam's eyes found mine and my heart clenched at his tears building. I squeezed his hand, giving him a watery eyed smile.

"I just wanted to tell you how much I miss you, and I'm still sorry for everything that happened that day... I wish I could have done more. I wish I could have saved you. I hope you're still resting easy and living in your own little paradise." He said.

"D-Do you mind if I say something?" I asked, biting down nervously on my lip.

"Of course." He replied.

"I'm so sorry for what happened to you... From what Liam's told me, you seemed to be a pretty amazing person. I'm sorry you didn't get the chance to live out your future together, but I promise, from the bottom of my heart, I will always take care of Liam. I will always cherish him and be grateful for his presence in my life. I'll do everything I can to make sure he's happy in life whether that be with or without me... I feel like the luckiest man in the world to have a chance with Liam. He's a catch, and you two were lucky to have each other."

"Will, that was... God, that was the sweetest thing anyone has ever said to me." He responded with a heartwarming grin.

"I meant every word."

We sat there in silence for a few minutes until I decided to stand.

"I'll let you have a few minutes with him alone, okay?" I rubbed his shoulders and kissed the top of his head.

"Thanks, Will. I'll just be a few minutes." He replied.

"It's okay, take your time."

He nodded, giving me the keys to his car with a sad smile.

I began walking back on the cemented path, but I couldn't shake the feeling that someone was around. Someone was watching me.

My eyes wandered around the empty cemetery, and that's when I saw a man standing in the distance, leaning against a tree. At least I think it was a guy. Their frame was quite wide to be a female.

Their head lifted up, bringing light onto their face, which confirmed it is in fact a male. His skin was slightly darker, but that's all I could see. Sunglasses were framing his face and his hood was up, blocking the rest of his features.

His head turned in my direction, and as soon as he saw me, he turned around and quickly walked away.

That was strange?

It didn't look like he was even visiting any grave, unless there's one hidden over there that I can't see?

I shook my head, wondering if I was imagining what I just saw, and quickened my pace to the car.

I hate cemetery's. They always give me an eerie feeling.

My mind stayed occupied, staring out the window at the gloomy day. The door opened, scaring the living shit out of me.

"Holy fuck!" I yelled.

"Sorry! Shit, I assumed you saw me coming. Are you alright?" He questioned.

"Yeah... Yeah, I'm fine. Sorry." I blushed.

"Are you okay?" I asked.

"I think so. I always get emotional on this day, but surprisingly I'm holding up pretty well. I think it's all because of you. You always make everything better." The sincere tone to his voice made my heartrate increase.

"I didn't do much." I stated.

"You did. I don't think I could have gotten through this day without you by my side." He said.

I smiled at his honesty, moving in to place a chaste kiss to his lips.

"I'll always be by your side. I'll always choose you, Liam."