59 | shift

Miliani's POV

I could hear a beeping sound in the back of my head, it was like a siren going off. I've heard that sound before, maybe too many times to forget it or maybe too few times to register it.

my eyes found her on the bed. she was panting and breathing too hard, I could almost hear the gasping noises she made every time she inhaled. doctors scattering around her, yelling, injecting something in her Ivy bottle, staring. My parents were there too, everyone was there, I was too- just invisible. 

my eyes followed every movement, the blank walls. empty flower vase perched on the table beside her bed. many shrivelled up petals from the previous roses residing in the vase, in-fact I could smell the emotions hanging in the air. it was despair, pure and utter despair. I can hear my mom yelling inside her head as she watched her elder daughter fight for her life.

I can see the defeat on my father's face as his eyes lingered on his lovely Layla, gasping and struggling to save her breaths. it was chaotic. I didn't know when it happen but I was suddenly in the middle of the room with accusing eyes holding me captive, my mom, dad, and even the doctors were looking at me with so much anger and hate. the stares almost melted me, I felt the walls of the room closing in on me. 

voices that once told me how much they adore me, yelled at me to leave the room, to get out of the same space as Layla. The sister I spent my childhood with was losing her life with each passing second and I was being accused of that. I don't know why they're blaming me? I don't know why I can't hear their voices? I don't know why I'm feeling dizzy? It all feels like an out-of-body experience, my eyes can see everything but my head is not catching up with the imagination. I was looking at a scene where a girl is lying on a hospital bed and her parents crying.

But I was not part of it, the scene seemed too pure to be a part of it, not after what went down in that warehouse. The vivid pictures of her standing there, crying for me to help her. The screams that now resemble her gasps are surrounding my brain like a thick fog.

Miliani, please snap put of it!

Please, look at me Mili, look at me.

Miliani wake up.

I woke up with a start, gasping and gulping as much air as possible. A warm hand landed on my back, I flinched away from the touch and looked up to see a nurse. Her blue scrubs rubbed at my neck, it was prickling.

"Are you okay Ms snow" her voice was soft and levelled. I found myself nodding my head. Not remembering how I landed here. I looked around my surroundings and found bright white walls, with frames of pictures hanging on them.

My neck was stiff and aching. My whole body was hurting, I felt like I ran over by a truck. I couldn't remember what happened, only bits and pieces where I was running away from those two burly guys. My eyes suddenly widened. The necklaces? Where are they?

"Excuse me" I called for the nurse who was looking at a machine beside my bed. I struggled to sit upright.

" Hey, hey take it slow. You just woke up" she helped me up to a sitting position.

"Where are those two lockets I had in my hand?" I can't afford to lose those them. I was desperate, I know whatever is inside can ruin live and not just one but hundreds- thousands of lives. and despite my hatred for Caim, I still can't let his secret out and in the open to someone who can use it against him, not Sean.

"I gave it to your boyfriend. he left just an hour ago" my mind stopped, boyfriend?  "poor guy, he was devastated to see you like this" I held my hand up to stop her. what boyfriend?