68 | Nathan

Miliani's POV

Finally my breathing calmed down and I got the chance to grasp what was happening around us. we were in the middle of an attack and I was being a complete moron, risking both my and Caim's life. I looked around me to find that we were hiding inside a kitchen, maybe under a kitchen island.

I could still hear people shouting and guns firing, trying to tune them out by pressing my palms over my ears but the noises were too thick to be veiled by my hands. 

"we need to move" Caim whispered over me. his breath fanning over my forehead. he calmed me, again. this man has been the reason for my distress and peace. he holds the power to destroy me yet he could bring redemption, such was his potential. my eyes grazed his chin, cheek, moving up to his nose. I traced every crevice of his face until they landed on his eyes. they weren't focusing on me but I still felt their heat.

"Thankyou" I whispered, not able to say anything else, hoping my eyes might convey everything that I couldn't weave in words. his eyes lowered until they settled a score with my hazel. his eyes held all of the emotions that he hides, conceals and sometimes disrespects.

with one gunshot the silence was over between us. the moment done.

"who are they? why are they attacking us? who is Nathan Castell?" I shot question after Question. I remember Georgia's face when the redhead told her about this man, she looked sick almost on the verge of passing out. I could sense some history but other than assuming that he was a part of this Mafia setting I can't think of anything else. I gasped, "where is georgia? where did the girl took her?" remembering how the girl frantically took Georgia somewhere, was she safe?

"she's safe" he cut down on other questions, like always. I was tired of not knowing what was happening around me, it almost felt like they were afraid I won't be handling this situation anyway better than a stupid teenage girl they think I am.

"who are they Caim? " though, my voice was calm, the annoyance lingered in the aftertaste. i needed to know what i was stuck in.

"Not now Miliani" he snapped. I wanted to say something but he grabbed my hand and pulled me up. keeping me close but still keeping space to attack, Caim pulled out a gun tucked under his shirt. my hand gripped his in a tight grip as I looked at the weapon. If it came down to him killing someone, would I be able to take it? I have seen him killing someone before and it still terrifies me. will I be able to endure it again? 

"don't worry I'll only use it when necessary" its like he heard my thoughts. he squeezed my hand in return. following after his steps, trying to not make any sound. we walked out of the kitchen, every step took us out in the danger and I was not only only scared for myself but for Caim as well.

my heart rate was picking up pace as we walked more into the living space. it was straight out of my worst dreams. the room was dark which made everything around us seem profound to danger. i know we were walking on thin ice as one wrong move, a strong breath, maybe even one wrong eye movement can get us caught or worse, killed.

A sharp scream startled me followed by a gunshot, making me stumble back and bump into something. sound of glass breaking echoed against the silent walls of the dark mansion. everything inside of me seized when my hand left Caim's, it was so dark that I could barely make out anything even if it was right in front of me. the lack of contact with Caim made me lose hold on myself. The silence after the echo of glass was even more haunting then its has been earlier. It only revealed that whoever was upstairs has gotten idea of our movements.

heavy footsteps walked on the corridor just above us. They were coming and we are going to get caught. I frantically looked around for Caim when a hand grasped my shirt and pulled me into them. A scream threatened to crawl out my neck but a hand on my mouth stopped me.