Dancing On My Own - Uhura x Sulu

Uhura looked in the mirror in front of her. She was all dolled up but had no one to go to the club with. She wanted to go and have fun but it was different when there was nobody to party with. Most of her friends were off planet and those who weren't were busy that night. But Uhura still wanted to have fun.

So she hopped on the tram, going to the closest club in town. It was one of the most popular places in town and was a pretty fun place to be. Hopefully Uhura could find a distraction from her loneliness for the night. Tomorrow was a different story to be dealt with at another time.

Uhura walked into the club, melting into the crowd and going to straight for the bar. She sat down and was handed a menu. She glanced it over and ordered two different drinks that looked interesting. She sat there by herself for a minutes, sipping her drinks. Uhura was working up the courage to go dancing on the dance floor. Uhura usually had a group of girls to dance with but since she was by herself, she wasn't as confident.

Uhura looked around, trying to see if there was anyone to dance with. She only saw groups or couples, not really any singles. Until her eyes fell on an attractive young Asian man. He was leaning against a table by himself, a drink in hand. He looked familiar, like she had seen him in some of her Academy classes. Though she couldn't quite remember his name.

Uhura thought for a moment. She had broken up with Spock a few days beforehand and didn't quite feel like finding someone to fill that emptiness she had at that moment. Yes, she wanted to be with someone then but she feared she would bring them home and regret it in the morning. Besides, that man across the bar seemed like a nice guy and she didn't want him to feel badly about anything they'd possibly do.

So Uhura started dancing on the dance floor, letting the beat of the music move her along. It was strange being by herself but also freeing. But the loneliness trumped her feeling of freedom. Uhura had always had someone there with her. Someone to go out to the bar with or go on dates with. She was truly dancing on her own and she didn't know how to feel about it.

After some time of dancing, Uhura went back to the bar to grab another drink. It wasn't long before Uhura saw a person sit next to her and order a drink as well. She looked over and saw the man she had seen earlier, the one from one of her classes. She smiled softly at him.

He held out a hand. "I don't think we've formally met but I'm Hikuru Sulu. I believe we share a class."

Uhura shook his hand. "Yes, we do. It's a pleasure to meet you."

"Likewise," Hikaru said. "Are you here alone?"

Uhura nodded. "All by myself. Are you too?"

"I am too," Hikaru replied. "Thought I'd swing in and see why this pretty face was sitting here all alone."

Uhura snorted. "A recent breakup and no friends in town is why I'm here. What about you?"

"Too lonely and bored to stay in," Hikaru replied. "Do you want  some company?"

Uhura waved to the spot next to her. "Go ahead. I don't mind at all."

Hikaru and Uhura sat there for the rest of the night, talking and getting to know each other better. Uhura was starting to feel a lot better than she had felt in awhile. Hikaru was a handsome and charming guy who was interesting to have a conversation with.

At the end of the night, Hikaru took Uhura home. It was clear that they were attracted to each other but didn't want to act on it. Uhura was hesitant to do anything because she had just gotten out of a relationship but she still wanted to be around him. There could be something there that Uhura would want to act on.

Uhura stopped at her doorway. "Well, this is me."

Hikaru smiled at her. "Tonight was fun. Thanks for staying around."

Uhura tucked a piece of hair behind her ear. "Of course. I hope to run into you again and we can do something like this again."

Hikaru smiled. "Yeah, of course. I'd like that. I'll see you in class then, huh?"

Uhura smiled. "Yeah, I'll see you in class."

Hikaru nodded. "Yeah, I'll see you in class."

Uhura stepped into her room, a smile on her face. She was smiling for the first time in a very long time. She had met an amazing guy and knew she'd be seeing him again. Uhura was glad that she had gone to the bar.