Garak

She was there, like always. She always took a walk around the Promenade at 1000 on the dot. It was routine to see her there, hands clasped behind her back, hair up in its normal boringly simple bun, and her medical uniform. She was attractive but in a simple, plain way. But to me, she was beautiful enough to attract my attention.

I never had enough courage to go up to her. I had no idea why. She wasn't very threatening and I was a former spy. There shouldn't have been a problem but there was the fact of a stupid feeling growing in my former ice-cold heart. I couldn't quite place my finger on it but I had a sneaking suspicion on what it was.

After the officer, Bex as she liked to be called, disappeared around a corner, I returned to my shop. I kept my mind off of Bex for awhile by repairing clothes, generally distracting myself from the attractive officer.

Our schedules went on like that for a few weeks. Bex would walk past on her way to work at 1000. She would look at me sometimes, smiling with a wide grin. She had changed her hair in that time, choosing what I believed humans called mini braids. Or what I heard the name was from my research on human culture and style.

One night, I was closing down the shop. Partiers were out enjoying the nightlife. I was locking the doors to my shop when I heard a woman laughing loudly with her friends. I turned to see Bex. She still had her hair in braids but it was in a style where it was still braided but had been put into a style I couldn't quite name yet.

 She still had her hair in braids but it was in a style where it was still braided but had been put into a style I couldn't quite name yet

It looked so astonishing on Bex that I almost went up to her to compliment her. If she had been alone, that was. She had her group of friends with her. As Bex came closer, I noticed the pieces of gold jewelry in her braids. They flashed in the night light of the Promenade.

Bex finally looked at me, smiling even wider. She waved, giggling as her friends pushed her teasingly. They stopped in the middle of the hall. I watched them for a moment before turning away to head to my quarters. I stopped when I heard my name being called. Turning, I saw Bex jogging to catch up to me.

"Hey, Garak, right?" Bex asked. "I'm Bex. I work in the medical department. It's a pleasure to finally meet you."

I turned to fully face her. "Did your friends dare you to come up to me?"

Bex shook her head. "No, not at all. They just told me I needed to face my fears or whatever. Not that you're scary or anything."

"Shut up and say it!" One of her friends yelled.

She laughed, glancing back at them. "I just wanted to say that I want to hang out sometime. My friends and I are going out to a party right now but I don't know if you want to join or not. Or if you're the party type. But just now that I'm ready to hang out."

I squinted at her, tilting my head to the side as my mind raced. "You want to be with me, alone? Aren't you scared of me?"

Bex shook her head. "No, not at all. I think you're cool. I see you every day and I've always wanted to talk to you but never had the courage too. I'll see you tomorrow, right?"