Arc 2 Chapter 18: Letter And The Truth (Part 1)

3rd Person POV:

Kendric started reading the letter he found on the table inside his room.

'Dear Kendric Edouard,

You are probably surprised by that last name, since they never would've told you of it. Let me start from the beginning.

My name is Henry Edouard. I am your elder brother as well as the crowned prince of a neighboring kingdom. As you might have guessed already, our mother was not a normal person. She was a Princess and married someone she loved. But afterward, something happened and she had to go to the empire. I will tell you more about that once we meet in person, as I have to keep this letter a bit shorter.

We, your grandfather and I, as well as our uncle and aunt, heard about your health. Normally, we wouldn't contact you out of caution, but now we had to. I will meet you when the moon shines it's brightest, at the lake that reflects it the clearest.

I'm looking forward to meeting you, my dear younger brother.

Your elder brother, Henry.'

'No wonder... They didn't want me to know.. These Bastards...', he thought angrily. 'Tell me everything you know about their kingdom, Pancake', he immediately said to his system.

{Yes. The name of their kingdom is Amaris. All the members of the royal family have shining silver-white hair as a symbol that their ancestors were blessed by the moon goddess. Of course, there were exceptions recorded in history. It seems the mother of this body had been one of them. They are more advanced in weaponry and skills than other kingdoms, or even the empire. They have many experts, which is the reason nobody dares to attack them rashly. They are also the second largest kingdom in the world, right after Caelum. Of course, the biggest and only empire is the one you reside in as of now. But everyone has one thing in common, they are wary of their kingdom, but at the same time want to trade with them. That is all I could find out.}

'I see.. So they never expected that maid to be from that family since she didn't have these shining silver-white hair. Maybe that was also the reason that she was the one send here out of everyone. So..when Kendric was born, they were probably very surprised by his hair, even if he didn't have much of it, since he was a baby... They couldn't kill him, but they could use him as leverage against their kingdom. But..every normal kingdom would've just let him die.. So why did they go through all that trouble to keep him alive? Especially since they knew that he was sick since birth.. Why would they let themselves be taken advantage of for a child born out of- Wait a second.', he widened his eyes a bit. 'Hey Pancake, who's her husband?'

{No information could be found about that, I'm sorry. Someone intentionally kept it hidden.}, he answered.

Kendric began laughing silently while clutching the letter tight. 'I see.. It makes sense.. But in the plotline, Kendric dying was probably way to sudden, they didn't expect him to be killed! He died before they managed to get him out!', he calmed down a bit. 'If it really happened as I thought. But the possibility is high, isn't it Pancake?', he asked.

{You'd have to tell me your theory first. I can't read your whole mind.}

'I was thinking.. Perhaps Kendric had never been the Emperor's son. Maybe his brother or someone else fled from there and arrived at Amaris. Then the princess and him fell in love.. Maybe she had already become pregnant again before leaving her land. But nobody knew. That's why it's an 'early birth', because if he was really the Emperor's son, he would've been born later. She should've been raped too, since she already had a husband and a child, she probably would've never slept with someone else. People in ancient times were much stricter with themselves than in modern times. Maybe she even killed herself right after Kendric's birth, because she couldn't live with the guilt of sleeping with someone else. Maybe she was even a little relieved because she knew something no one else knew. Perhaps that was why he addressed me as 'brother' and not 'half-brother'. He probably knows something from somewhere. Probably their mother..maybe she left something behind and they found it'

{Congratulations Edward, you collected half of the information needed to complete one of your hidden tasks. It appears you still lack something though}

'Yes.. And I'll probably know it by the time I met with 'my' brother. I'm really curious as to what I've missed..', he answered with a determined expression. He wanted to find out more about this.

Right at that moment, the door opened and Hernan came into the room. They looked at each other.

"I have to tell you some things. Close the door and take a seat.", he said seriously and pointed at a chair. Hernan nodded and sat down. He realized that it's serious, but was stunned when the other handed him a letter. "Read this first, then burn it", his love said.

He did so. He read the letter and burned it instantly afterward, his thoughts were not written on his face. He looked at his love and sighed slightly after Kendric told him about his thoughts.

"That does indeed sound plausibel. I'm not sure about the suicide though. I heard a lot of diffrent things, but they all had one outcome in common: Your mother was assassinated. If I had to guess, it was probably under the Empress's order. She probably didn't want your mother's status to be changed to concubine, since she could be a potential threat to her in that case. The Emperor probably also knew about it, but kept quiet nevertheless."

{You learned more about the truth! Just a little more to go, Edwin!}

Kendric sighed. 'He must've guessed something right..', he thought and looked at his husband. "That's probably how it roughly played out. I still feel like we're missing something... But that'll probably be cleared up as soon as I have a talk with my real brother.", he said with a smile. "I just changed my thoughts. I want them to pay, all of them. Hernan, I have an order for my knight to carry out after we get back to the palace.", he said smiling."The first..and last one."

Hernan knelt down in front of him. "I'll do whatever you need me to."

"Wait a bit.", he answered and started writing a letter as well. Once he finished, he gave it to Hernan. "Give this letter, once we have returned, to a new maid named Reina. She'll be working in the crowned prince's palace. If she decides to go and see me, take her to me immediately. She'll be of great help."

Hernan took his letter and put it away inside his coat. "By your order.", he said and stood up. He didn't question how he knew that maid, nor what she could help with. But he trusted his liege as well as his beloved, so he would do what he asked him to do.