68. Puppy

Sirius was lying tummy down on the bed. Remus has got him a book he could never put down; Hachiko The True Story of a Loyal Dog. He even had a pen for annotations.

Sirius absorbs the words. He found the book very heartwarming, a good read to let the steam off. His thumb and pointer rubbed on the edge of the page before turning it. He just couldn't put it down.

It's safe to say Remus did a good job infecting Sirius with his love for books.

"Pads ?"

"Hhhuh." Sirius murmured.

"Padfoot."

"Wha ?"

"Sirius."

Remus chuckled, leaning on the door frame. "Sirius Black."

"Merlin, Sirius Orion Black."

The man finally looks up. "You rang ?"

"You've been reading for 3 hours straight." Remus says sitting on the bed next to him.

"Well, you've read for more."

"Touché."

Seeing that Sirius' attention is returning to the book, Remus pursed his lips. Now he's kinda regretting ever giving that book to him. Can't believe he's competing for Sirius' attention with a bloody book.

Fine then, he thinks. Desperate times call for desperate measures.  Remus lifts off the bed and he lies on Sirius, successfully smothering the smaller under his weight.

"Lupin ! Ger'off me." Sirius clawed the pillows.

"Not until you listen to what I'm gonna say !"

"You'll flatten me like a pancake !"

"Then stop reading and listen to me."

Sirius shoves the book away, not before sliding the bookmark neatly. By "bookmark" he means a Muggle bank note with the number 5 and some old lady on it.

"Get off me first,  I'm gonna suffocate and die !"

Remus rolls his eyes and himself off Sirius. 

"Tsk, so dramatic."

Sirius slaps his chest. "You're not the one getting smothered by a full grown werewolf !"

Remus ruffles his hair. Sirius may put up an annoyed look but he scoots closer, slotting himself under Remus' chin.

"Listen listen, Prongs.. has a cat right."

Sirius nodds with a twitch to his eye. Oh he remembers that old fart. The cat was huge, ancient and orange. It wheezed with every breath and had no fear even when Sirius turned into Padfoot.

"It gave birth.."

Sirius gasped. "That thing could procreate !?"

Remus shakes his head. "She's not even that old. She just has a temper that's all."

Sirius lets Remus tuck his hair behind ear. "Then what about Crusty Dusty ?"

"Well, James didn't have space for all the kittens so.. he sent some to McGonagall, Hermione and.."

Sirius' eyes widened, realizing what Remus was about to say. "You took in Crusty Dusty's kid ?!"

Remus rubbed his nape. "Yeah.. But if we're not up for it, my parents would gladly take Puppy in !"

Sirius blinked. "You named a kitten... Puppy ?"

Remus didn't have the guts to tell his husband the kitten reminded him of Padfoot's playfulness. The small orange kitten who wobbled with every step reminded him of Sirius' clumsiness.