Chapter 20: Homecoming

Monday, October 23

The time of the year is upon the whole school. This week is Homecoming week. Unlike Marcie and Angel, a good majority of students have been focused on suit/dress shopping, attending events like the pep rally and the soon-to-be homecoming football game (something someone is banned from now lol), and last-minute date searching.

Angel doesn't care about school spirit, but for Marcie, Homecoming is that one thing she's been wanting to refrain herself from going to. Seeing all those proposals going around since the start of the week, on and off campus, are just only reinforcing her promise to herself to never go to the dance.

That was... until Marcie had to be the one to defend Angel this time around.

12:30 PM / Lunch

"Oh, Angel~" Starla was able to find Angel walking with Marcie. Angel rolled his eyes as he and Marcie knows what's coming.

Starla would casually bump Marcie aside like she didn't exist in her world, in hopes that she earns some alone time with (a disgruntled) Angel.

"So, darling, you heard of what's coming up soon?" Starla asked ecstatically.

"I don't care," Angel straight up replied.

"You don't care about Homecoming? Prom is a couple of years away right now so this is the best we got."

"And?"

"Don't be sour, sweetie. Is it because you wouldn't have anyone to go with? I'm a girl who knows how to have a great time, especially in Homecoming. So go with me then!" Starla proposed.

"Hell no." Angel immediately had that answer prepared.

"C'mon, why are you being so stubborn? I know you don't talk to other girls besides me," Starla's claim ticked off Marcie a lot, "Who else could you possibly go with—"

All of a sudden, Marcie tugged at Angel's arm and grabbed it tightly.

"He's with me!" Marcie said out loud, the implication being obvious.

"Hahahaha......" Starla mocked as a way to delude herself, "Very funny, Marcie. If you want to be useful for once, go be a comedian making funny statements like that."

"S-sadly... I'm not kidding," Marcie stood her ground, "right, angel?" She mumbled, begging him to play along.

"I guess I do care about going now," Angel claimed, making Marcie more comfortable holding him. 

Starla was almost left speechless... to her, it's almost as if her worst nightmares are coming to fruition. She collected herself before she challenged this idea of Angel going with Marcie of all people.

"Prove it."

"Huh?"

"I know you, Marcie. You're making up bullshit so I won't be able to take Angel to homecoming myself," Starla desperately said to provoke Marcie, "I'm not believing a single word here, even from you, Angel. So that's why I say to prove it. I better see you two together at the dance on Saturday..."

"Or what?" Marcie talked back.

"Heheheh... or else I might have to call CJ..."

"I'll gladly destroy his face again." Angel defended.

"Oh... he won't do it this time... I'll just borrow something from him... whatever it takes to be with you, darling..." Starla threatened before walking away, "See you two at the dance... or not, hopefully..."

Marcie tried to keep a brave face, but as soon as Starla was out of sight, her fears kicked in again. Angel quickly noticed the change of expression and nudged Marcie into looking at him.