Chapter 9

So, Winston isn't here. Why am I not surprised? Things must have been going too smoothly for me and the fates decided that my ass needed some setbacks.

If I think of all the things that were supposed to happen, I can infer that Winston will return in about a month, two at most. That's a fair amount of time to settle in a bit, but not too much. I need to ready myself for when we'll inevitably have to leave.

I'll take this time to build on my relationship with my fiancés and might even turn them into my husbands. They've been walking around looking way too fine for me to keep this chastity in clutch for much longer.

Alright, this won't be too bad. Perhaps after mating with Harvey and Curtis I'll be even more confident to jump Winston's bones when he returns. 

Why am I like this? 

"Ari?"

I flinched slightly at being dragged from my wondering thoughts. I turned my body to the left, completely facing the snake beast. 

"Hmm?"

"What is on your mind that prevents you from sleeping, my Ari?" 

"Nothing much, just thinking about what I want to get done tomorrow."

He hummed lightly, "So it's not Winston that has your minding wandering?"

My posture turned rigid, "What- what do you mean?"

"I heard you asking that wolf beast the whereabouts of the white tiger named Winston. Do you want to take him as your male?"

I sighed, as I allowed myself to relax. Cat's out the bag, I guess. "Why? Do you not approve?"

Curtis gave me a sly smirk, "On the contrary, I do. I've heard of the young tetra-marked white tiger. His accomplishments are admirable for someone so young, I believe he would be good protection for you. Though I'm surprised you would want him, you've heard he has a scarred face, yes?

I'm trying to think if I've ever heard Curtis speak this much at once. And to be singing the praises of another male? The downfall of the city might be closer than I anticipated.

"I've heard of his scar, yes. I don't mind things like that though. I think we would be good for each other, all of us."

He drew his face closer to mine. His forked tongued flicked out of his mouth and he let out a low hiss. 

"Hmm, do you want cubs this year, Ari? I can sense your estrous is close," he said in a low whisper. 

Blood rushed to my cheeks as I mentally facepalmed. Well now's as good a time as any.

"So, as you know, I don't belong to any tribes with animal traits. I am a human. One characteristic of being a human female is that I bleed every month, not every year. So, save for the days when I'm bleeding and a couple days after that's finished, I can get pregnant anytime during the remaining period."