Chapter 145 | December 24th | Christmas Eve ❤️

Timeline - December 24th | ( 12 Days later)

Eko took the final bite of her sandwich, the cafeteria's familiar buzz providing a sense of routine that felt oddly comforting as the day wound down. Toni and Richie had been at her side for most of the day, their presence offering a semblance of normalcy while Matthew and Jesse were entangled in the whirlwind of back-to-back official duties, the holiday season pressing ever closer.

Matthew's return to work, less than a week after his surgery, had been a pivotal moment. Though she knew the crystal she carried had played its role in his remarkable recovery, the doctors' assessments had been nothing short of miraculous. His heart was stronger than ever—healthier, faster, more resilient. Eko had watched him on the field, noticing the way his strength had seemingly doubled, his agility sharper than it had ever been.

But as much as pride swelled within her, so did the anxiety. The first time Matthew had stepped out of her sight since his surgery, it had triggered a full-blown panic attack. Even now, despite his constant reassurances and frequent updates, a persistent knot of worry remained lodged in her chest. She had come to the stark realization that the anxiety over his health—his heart—might never truly go away. It anchored her, but it also tormented her.

Meanwhile, life moved forward. With Jesse preoccupied by her own responsibilities, Jasmine had stepped up, taking on extra tasks to ensure that everything ran smoothly as Christmas approached. Mya, deeply immersed in her doctoral studies, focused on her goal of becoming a certified Allegiant doctor.

While Matthew was inundated with meetings and responsibilities with the Allegiant boards, Eko found herself partnering with Toni, Richie, and sometimes Jasmine to handle sporadic youma sightings and protect the towns on Earth from the occasional attack. Despite the action-packed nature of their missions, there was an unsettling quietness that had settled over the last few weeks. It was the kind of silence that should have brought relief, but instead, it only magnified the tension simmering beneath the surface.

In a rare moment of agreement, Eko, Toni, Richie, and Jasmine had all sworn to keep their late-night adventures a closely guarded secret from both Jesse and Matthew. Eko and Toni knew exactly how explosive the fallout could be—Matthew, ever protective, had insisted Eko shouldn't be out battling youmas without him, especially given everything they'd been through. His fear wasn't just for her safety; he worried they'd target her to get to him, all things considered. The thought of him finding out would only lead to another heated argument, something Eko wanted to avoid at all costs.

Jesse, on the other hand, had been fiercely protective of Toni's whereabouts lately, her moods swinging from worried to downright venomous whenever he went off without her. Toni had no desire to deal with the explosive arguments that would surely follow if Jesse found out about their recent nocturnal activities. The tension between them had been growing, and the last thing he wanted was to ruin the festive mood they'd all worked so hard to preserve this month. So, they all agreed: what Jesse and Matthew didn't know, couldn't hurt them—at least, not for now.

As Christmas Eve crept closer, Jasmine and Eko had taken it upon themselves to organize a special dinner for the group. The office upstairs had been transformed into a warm, cozy holiday nook, complete with festive decorations and a meal crafted by the staff with meticulous care. They still had a few hours before they needed to get ready, but as Eko pushed her plate away, her mind wandered to a different kind of preparation—debating over which lingerie piece would go best under the Santa outfit she'd picked out for the evening.

Toni, engrossed in some reports, caught the distant look in Eko's eyes as she drifted off into her thoughts. He raised an eyebrow, but kept quiet.

Breaking the silence, Eko tilted her head towards Toni, curiosity gleaming in her eyes. "Toni, do you think adding a Christmas tree would be over the top?" She'd been toying with the idea of whether they needed that final festive touch to complete the atmosphere.