Forty Eight

Dahlia wakes up with her hand throbbing. Austin is still tucked up on her, he is big and on the brink of fucking smothering her. But she does not move him away when the memory of his broken face flashes across her mind. Life really knows when to beat a person down. She lifts her arm up carefully and inspects her hand, flexing her fingers. She has not broken it but it is black and blue, and a little swollen. There is also a knick in the center of her knuckles from what she suspects is from the agent's front tooth. Good. She hopes she fucking chipped his tooth.

He had no right to say that shit to Austin. If he did not like what he saw he could have just left. Adding salt to the wound did nothing but pump up his own ego. The dick. She hears a noise from the bed and looks up to see Gina and Harry asleep on it. Harry has always been around but it seems he has inserted himself into their lives a little more of late. Dahlia likes him so he can stay. She feels like she is in a tight cacoon and suspects they are not alone in the bed. When she peeps down to the bottom of the bed she can see Orlando and Paris curled up at her feet like cats. This whole situation is fucking ridiculous.

"Sometimes I look at you both and you seem like more than just friends." Dahlia hears Gina whisper above her head. She looks up again and sees Gina smiling down at her. "You read too much into things," Dahlia whispers. "Maybe, but I have been friends with Austin for longer than you, and I have been friends with you longer than Austin has...but you two are way closer than anyone in this room," Gina whispers back. "Does that upset you?" Dahlia asks, her heart beating a little faster. If Gina says yes she does not know what she would do. She does not want to lose either of them but reality dawns on her - the only outcome of this situation is pain. When Gina and Austin get together Dahlia knows she can not be around for that. It would fucking kill her.

She will lose them both. The twins too. It's not like she deserved any of them anyway.

"Dahlia. Did you hear what I said?" Gina whispers. "No, sorry. Repeat yourself," Dahlia whispers. "She said that she can't be mad at you. That you deserve to be looked after and loved by those around you. And I say you are so caught up in the past you can't see past your fucking nose," Austin says into her chest with his head still under her chin. "Some heavy words for a woman that defended your honor last night and broke her hand in the process," Dahlia says. Austin pulls out of her hold so quickly he kicks both Orlando and Paris off the mattress. They groan as they slide onto the floor. But Austin does not apologize because he is so busy looking over Dahlia's hand.

"Fucking hell," he says touching it lightly, "we should take you to a doctor," he says. "I have had worse and it's not broken, just bruised," she says. Both Orlando and Paris clamper up on the bed to look at it while Gina leans over. "You are like a hero," Paris says. "More like a stupid cow," Austin grumbles and pushes his way out of the bed. He grabs a bag of frozen peas and places it carefully over her knuckles. "Don't do that again. Ok?" he says. Dahlia shrugs, "I can't promise that," she says truthfully. "Yeah, she is too much of a hothead," Gina says. "Thank you," Dahlia says sitting up. "I don't think she meant that as a compliment...or did you?" Harry says as he sits up rubbing his face.

There is suddenly a knock on the door. Gina leans into Harry, he takes her willingly. The twin's edge closer to Dahlia and Austin looks at the door like it's just spoken. "What the fuck is wrong with all of you? Austin just answer the fucking door and the rest of you stop being so fucking weird," Dahlia says pushing the twins away from her. Austin shrugs and opens the front door. As it swings open there is a loud scream and some excited chatter. What the fuck? Dahlia climbs out of bed and peeps outside from under Austin's arm.

It's Nessy. But she has brought her friends - San and the other girl. Dahlia suspects that they are the culprits for the scream. They are both clinging to each other and it looks like San may be crying a little. They are both staring at Austin a little too intensely for Dahlia's liking. "Austin go and put a shirt on before those girls die at our front door," Dahlia whispers. Austin stiffens then nods and moves back into the apartment leaving Dahlia with Nessy and her friends. San and the friend seem to be able to calm down the second Austin is gone.

"What's up, Nessy?" Dahlia asks. Nessy pulls a face and then rolls her eyes. "Dahlia, if you are going to be a photographer then you can't forget appointments," Nessy says. Appointments? What the fuck is she talking about? "Oh, shit is that today?" the twins say at the same time from behind her. Dahlia turns around to face them. "What the fuck did you two do?" she asks. They try to move backward but Austin comes up behind them and boxes them in. "Ok. Don't be mad. Nessy told us you wanted to be a fashion magazine photographer. We have an uncle who is a photographer and he works with many designers. He has his own studios. Now, we know it's not a magazine but our uncle has lots of models and does runway shows all over the world. He wants to retire in a few years and is looking for someone to be his apprentice so we got you an interview," Orlando says while Paris nods along beside him.

Dahlia holds up her hand and points to the bruse. "Not much good now am I?" She says. Austin reaches over the twins and pulls her back into the flat then pushes the twins out along with Harry. "Wait here. She will be out in a few minutes," he says and closes the door. Gina turns on the shower and starts rummaging through her clothing. "What are you two doing? I can't go. My hand is no good," Dahlia says. But both Gina and Austin ignore her as they fuss around the apartment. "Guys, seriously. I can't go with my hand. Besides, I have no good clothes, and my hair-"

"Shut up, Dahlia. Get undressed and in that dam shower or I will undress you myself. You are going and you will deal with any pain later. You can handle it," Austin says.

"But-"

"Now! Gosh darn it!" Gina shouts. Dahlia frowns but does as they instruct. Bossy assholes.