25 : Provocation and comfort

Helena took the medicine the maid brought and fell asleep immediately due to the medicine's effect. Riftan sat by her side holding her small hand.

"Stay here for a while. You must observe her condition closely."
He said to the doctor standing behind him.

"Yes, your grace."

"How is my child?"
The Duchess of Lancia came running in, her expression filled by panic and worry.

"She's asleep, mother."
Riftan looked at the Duchess then spitted out another question.

"Are you alright?"

"No. I'm not. You hurt my child."
She threw a response in a sarcastically yet sorrowful tone.

"I'm sorry.."
Riftan turned to look at the sleeping person and kissed her hand.

"As if saying sorry will fix anything."

"This is all I could say.. I don't know how I should put it."

"Were you not satisfied with my daughter?"

Riftan was taken aback with his mother-in-law's blunt question. He looked straight to her, his yellow pupils filled in guilt.

"You weren't satisfied so you ought to seek another woman. How many times did it happen? How long has it been? Treating my child like she was a fool."

"No.. I never thought of Helena like that..."

"But you did treat her like one. You sneaked behind her back and slept with her maid. The maid that grew up with her. Did you even think about how she would feel.. at all? Do you? You didn't even ask her if she's okay with you having someone else!"

"The fling between me and her was nothing more than sexually needs. I thought it would be okay... I will eventually get tired of her someday... so I figured there was no need for Helena to know all of that.. I know she wouldn't like it.."

"How could you think so recklessly of my child? How could you..!"
The Duchess gripped her chest, breathing heavily.

"I'm sorry."

The Duchess tried to calm down, her chest filled with disappointment.

"If you seek women who could match your pace.. let my child go. Even though you could have any wives as you please.. I don't care about that.. my child won't be happy."

Her words were like a slap to his face. Riftan sat there while guilt overwhelmed him. It took him a long while to respond in a low tone.

"I don't need any more women.. but if that's what Helena wants, I shall do so."

"That slut is still here. I hope you're not crazy enough to find her for comfort after all of this."
The Duchess said so and left the room. Riftan caressed Helena's cheek to see her temperature.

An hour later, the swollen eyelids opened slowly. Helena felt her head spinning but she tried to get up anyway.

"You're awake."

Riftan helped her get up and handed her a glass of water. Helena, who lost all her energy from the crying, accepted his help without a question. She drank the water slowly then tried to get out of bed.

"Where are you going? You're not well yet. Sit down." Riftan.

"I want to see her.. your another woman.."
She responded faintly without looking at him. Riftan stood up. Helena, who wasn't paying attention to him, almost screamed in surprise when her body suddenly fly in air. Her hands held onto his neck automatically.