38 : Will you?

"You can't just take away a child from his mother, Riftan."
Frustrated Chester opened his mouth while doing the paperwork on changing Damian's last name to Christensen.

"I didn't say she couldn't visit. She can come to see him anytime. She just has to see me, too."

"Did you tell her that?"

"No, I didn't."
Riftan turned away from Chester in embarrassment.

"See?"

"I will have my men let her know that she can visit."

"Does she even want to see you?"

Riftan went silent again. She didn't look at him like before anymore. Unlike the affectionate and admiration gaze, it was full of fear.

"No."

"That's expected. Who would want to see a man who dropped her like nothing when their affair came out. I admire how shameless you are taking her child away just like that."

"He's also my child. I just want him to have a better life. I don't want him to live in the dirt when he could live with everything."

"Everything but his mom."

Riftan turned away again. Chester continued.

"You'll have to apologize to him someday or you may get hated. He grew up watching his mother go through all the hardships for him and suddenly a strange man who claimed to be his father just snatched him away from her. I won't be surprised if you get hit by your own son."

"Don't worry about it and do your job. He cried asking for her sometime but he's doing fine after."

"Do you perhaps have feelings for her?"

"What…"

"You sound like you want to be with her but you can't. If you didn't want to, why would you go find her?"

"Stop saying nonsense. It's too late for that now."

"Apologize to her properly. Not for the woman you cheated on your wife with but the woman who you dropped like nothing and the mother of your child. She loved you and raised the child for years by herself all alone, it wasn't easy. If you want to be with her, say it straight and ask for a chance. You're shameless enough to snatch her child away but you can't ask her to be with you? As a woman who you cheated with, she was wrong. But this is not a case where it's related to Helena. It's between you and her. As a woman who loved you and a mother of your child, she deserves an apology from you. I'm sure she walked away with her heart shattered to pieces just like the other woman."

"..."

"And investigate who sent the assassins to kill her. They can't just try to kill someone just because she had an affair with a married man. It was wrong to cheat and hurt someone but made a murder attempt was no better either. It's even worse. Moreover, by the law, you're not wrong at all, men are allowed to have many women they want as long as they can afford to make them live a good life. But if we look into it emotionally, you're an unfaithful bastard."

"It's Helena's family and it happened years ago… we won't be able to find any evidence." 

"They really went at it. I thought they were the most gracious family among us nobles but they're not that different at all. Now it's true that all of us are typically animals. A bunch of animals with money and power." Chester chuckled as if fed up.

"Let's not talk about it anymore."

"I can adopt Damian if you want. He's a smart and patient kid. He will learn well in the future. I like kids like him."