27 : For just 3 hours a day

"Your grace…"

A dark figure flew in by the window. Riftan lifted an eyebrow when he saw his man rushed in.

"What?"

"I lost her trace last night. I tried to find her everywhere possible but there's not even a hint of her. The only thing I peeped was the carriage driver… he said she suddenly disappeared from the carriage in the middle of the woods… she didn't even take her belongings."

"Are you sure he told the truth?"

"Yes, I made sure."

Riftan clicked his tongue. The man stated once again in hesitation this time.

"I heard the town guards found a corpse in the forest… it was eaten by wild animals.. it was a woman's corpse…"

"What?"

"I will try to find her, your grace.. but I'm afraid the corpse was her.."

Riftan was a bit in shock. He touched his forehead and responded. A feeling of anxiety felt in his chest.
"Try to trace her first. Don't jump to conclusions."

"Yes, your grace."

~

"Milady, do you need anything?"

A new maid who replaced Anita's place asked Helena who sat in the library reading in silence since morning. It's been a few days since the Grand Duke and Grand Duchess hadn't shared breakfast together, Helena was the one who refused to do so.

"Not right now. I'll call you if I want anything. You can go do your thing."

"Yes, milady. I'll be around here. Please call for me."

Helena gave her a little smile and turned to her book. When the smile dropped, her expression looked sad again. Even when that woman wasn't here anymore, she still couldn't feel okay.
The pictures of him lifting that woman's leg to his hip while he pushed himself into her haunted her. Helena felt like her breath ran out again. It was still fresh in her mind.

"Wife, you're here."

A similar voice was heard from afar. Helena turned to the tall figure who approached her and turned away. Riftan sat next to her.

"Have you eaten?"

"..."

There was no response from her. Helena continued her book in silence as if she didn't hear anything.

"Helena."

Riftan was about to hold her hand but Helena didn't let him. She pulled her hand away. He looked at her silently for a few minutes until then he decided to speak.

"Are you annoyed with my presence? Is it okay if I sit with you here?"

"Do whatever you want. I will leave now."

Helena closed the book and stood up. When she was about to take a step, a firm hand held her hand firmly.

"What should I do? Tell me. I'm too afraid to do anything because I don't want to upset you unexpectedly... Really. So please tell me what to do. I will do anything."

She brushed his hand off from hers, without looking at him again, she responded.
"Just do whatever you want. You didn't even ask for permission when you cheated."

"Helena." His expression dropped low.

"What should I do? Tell me. I will do anything. Just don't avoid me."

"Let go of my hand." She tried to pull her hand away again but he held it firmly.

He looked anxious, upset, and lost at the same time.
"Please, wife. I'm desperate."