Sixteen

Carter: I really liked spending the day with you.

I smiled at my phone as I relaxed in the bathtub.

Winter: Yeah. It wasn't the worst.

I just knew Carter was laughing at the text I sent him. He didn't take that long to reply.

Carter: Are you gonna ask her?

I stared at my phone. For what seemed like a really long time. Biting my lip in concentration.

Winter: Yeah. She just isn't here. She's staying with the guys at the club house tonight.

Carter's reply made me smile.

Carter: Then you should come stay with me.

What? No. I can't. Can I?

Winter: I can't. I shouldn't.

Carter: You can't? Or you shouldn't? Both are two very different things.

I rolled my eyes at his text message.

Smart ass.

Winter: I shouldn't. I made a big deal about cheating when it was you. What kind of person would I be if I turned around and did it?

It didn't take him long to reply. Like at all.

Carter: You don't love him. You're only with him to piss me off and make a point. You love me. You love us. And if there wasn't anything between us, you wouldn't have kissed me. Just come stay with me. We don't even have to do anything. I just miss you.

I stared at the text message. I didn't reply though. He double texted.

Carter: I'll even take you to work tomorrow. Please Winnie. All I'm asking is that you try.

Fuck. He had to go there. Didn't he?

Winter: And if he happens to come back and I'm not here?

Carter: Tell him your with a friend from college. I don't care if you tell him the truth. We ain't over. We're never truly over Winnie.

I bit down onto my lip. Pictures of Carter passed through my mind. Memories.

Winter: Fine. Let me finish my bath and get ready.

I knew Carter was excited. And happy. I knew it for sure based on his fast ass response.

Carter: Thank you!!!!!

I couldn't help but laugh a little. I finished my bath up and climbed out. Getting ready. Nothing spectacular. Just pajamas, brushing my hair,and teeth, and adding deodorant.

I packed a bag for the night. An outfit for tomorrow, deodorant, toothbrush, makeup. I grabbed my bag, purse and phone and headed down the stairs.

Thankfully no one was downstairs. I was a block away when I texted Carter.

Winter: I'm ready. I started walking. I'm going my normal route.

It was only maybe five minutes later when Carter pulled up next to me. I looked at the group of guys I was coming up on and sighed a relief. Feeling a little better that Carter was here now.

I climbed into the passenger seat and Carter made the drive back to his apartment. That we used to share up until about a month and half ago.

"It looks good. Different but good."

Carter smiled at me as he grabbed my bags. Taking them to the bedroom.

"Different yeah. I cried when I came home and seen you moved out."