Sixteen

"Nate what's wrong with Mommy?"

Nate looked at Kyla and gave her a Soft smile. "Nothing honey. She's just been a little sad for a while."

I just sat there. Smoking a cigarette a few yards away from the group. Not really paying attention, yet I could hear every word.

"WINTER LETS GO!"

I looked over at Randy standing by the car. I didn't say anything. I just flicked my cigarette and gave Nax and Kyla a kiss on the cheeks. I didn't say a word else. I just walked over Alister who was laying on the ground and headed for Randy.

By the time I did get over to him he was leaning against the car.

"Change of plans. Sam is going with you instead of me."

I looked at Randy. "I'm good. It's not that important."

Randy grabbed my cheeks and looked at me. "You will do as I say. We can go back to my office and let him have another go. Same as six months ago."

I shook my head no and Randy let go of me. A small breath and a smile. Randy walked away and I lit a cigarette. Almost preparing myself. I have been religiously avoiding Sam since then.

Miller and Colt we're different. They didn't want to do what Randy forced them to. Sam did though. Almost like he was happy and excited he got me. Even if it was those circumstances.

"Hi Winnie."

I looked at Sam and he was smiling at me.

"He's in charge Winter. He has one bad thing to say and so help me god."

I looked at Randy but I didn't say anything. I just looked over at the group and got into the car.

"Hey can I come?"

Please yes!

"Sorry sis. We need all the room in the car we can take. Maybe next time okay?"

Damnit.

April looked at me and Sam pulled out. Sam drove to town. He grabbed us a coffee and then we headed to party city. The trip was long. Isle by isle. Searching and grabbing.

"What about this?"

I looked at Sam and seen the piñata he was holding up. It was a SpongeBob one.

"Maybe one but not that one. It has to be one for both kids. And they don't even watch SpongeBob."

Sam nodded his head and he grabbed the candy to put inside of a piñata. I ended up going with a plain piñata that said happy birthday and a matching stick.

"Do you think Randy would be mad if I got this?"

Sam looked at the bouncy house and smiled. "No. If he is I'll tell him it was my idea." He said as grabbed it all. I smiled lightly.

Sam and I spent a pretty decent time at party city. Getting absolutely everything for Nax and Kyla's double birthday bash. We went to another store and I got busy with presents. So many for both of them. Finishing up with wrapping paper, tape, gift bags.

Sam grabbed a carton of cigarettes for me which I wasn't sure why.

"I didn't mean to hurt you Winter."

I looked at him and then nodded my head. "But you did. You got off on it. You seemed really excited about it. If you know what I mean."

Sam looked at me and nodded his head. He knew what I meant. "I am sorry." Is all he said before he drove back.

We took everything inside my place. The second I seen everyone it made me feel a little better. I dropped everything into my closet by the front door and Sam left.