five

"I'm glad you all could join me."

We all stood in the vast open room looking at Randy. I was nervous. I could feel it. Maddox could see it which meant Randy could too.

"I assume you've had a talk with Lola and she filled you in?"

I looked at lola then I looked at Randy. "Y-Yes sir. I'm still thinking."

He nodded his head at me. As if telling me he understood my resistance. Randy looked me square in the eyes. Holding my gaze. His expression was understanding yet icy.

"I understand Winter. However if you can't give me an answer tonight is going to play out very differently then what I anticipated. Either way I'm going to have fun and none of you will."

What does that mean?

It wasn't good that's for sure. His words made Maddox's body go completely stiff. Ribz wasn't sure what was going on. He just kept looking at us all. Between all of us. Unsure if he should say something or do something.

I gulped loudly. Which could be heard throughout the room. I looked around the room. Reading the room in a way. Lola, Kayla, Max and Nate all looked extremely worried.

Concern covering every centimeter of their faces. Which told me my gut feelings were right all day long. I took a slow and steady breath. Whatever my words were going to be. Each one of them had a repercussion.

I looked at Randy. Locking eyes with him and holding his icy gaze. He was curious as to what I was going to say. When my voice filled the room I spoke in the calmest and most controlled voice I had.

Maddox had worked with me all day. Don't show weakness winter. He will eat it up and use it. Remain calm. Calm and steady voice. No crying. No yelling. No emotions at all. No matter what.

So his words rang out in my head as I spoke. In the calmest, most steadiest and emotionless voice I could get.

"I'm aware sir. I still haven't decided. It's a big choice to make. I need to weigh all the possibilities. It's not a decision I can rush into giving an answer I'm not entirely sure of. That would just be fatal and rushed in the end."

Randy smiled at my words. Maddox had know idea what we was talking about. I hadn't said a word to him about any of it.

Nate shifted on his feet. Lola was holding the trim of her shirt so tight her knuckles were white. Kayla didn't have any color to her face. Max's eyes were glistening from the tears filling his eyes.

Randy smiled and nodded his head. He then turned his attention to Maddox.

"So far you've done everything we have agreed on. Very well. However one of you need to pay for the death of my brother. I don't really care who it is but I will be taking a life for the life that was taken from me."

I could feel the goosebumps on my skin. Covering every inch of my body. It felt as if the temperature had dropped 20 degrees in the room almost instantly. Before Maddox could say a word Ribz stepped forward.

"It will be me sir. Winter has done nothing wrong to deserve that punishment. She's a good person. Maddox can't leave this world yet. He doesn't know his daughter. My life for your brothers life."

Randy looked at Ribz as if he respected him slightly more in that moment.

"Absolutely not."

Everyone looked at Maddox. Whose gaze was just as icy as Randy's. Both of them were staring at each other. As if in an old western. Trying to gauge there opponent. Seeing who will drawl first.