Chapter 8 Ben, GETTING SETTLED

Mp's direct us into the building behind the huge tent. I guess it used to be a prison. By the looks of it this prison hasn't been used in years. By some miracle, the electricity still works. The mp's hand each of us a card with a number and quickly run outside while closing the doors. I slowly walk around looking at the many people inside. Everyone is shaken up. People tremble or hug themselves in the corner while crying, others begin to argue. I shake my head. Everyone is losing hope and i can't help but say i am too. I glance down at my car and mumble softly, "room 31, huh." I wander off, following signs taped to the walls which show were the rooms are. After a couple of minutes i finally find my room, or well..my cell. With a sigh i set my backpack down beside the bed and plop down onto the bottom bunk. I wonder what's going to happen? I sit up and look out the barred up window beside my bed. Night has finally come through, caking everything in complete darkness. The smoke from fires within the city are still noticeable. I move my backpack under my bunk, just in case anyone attempts to rob me tonight. I feel my eyes grown heavy, but i don't want to sleep..i can't. Not now. Not after losing everyone that was close to me. Priscilla, Sam, my parents, Adrian..I'm afraid of going to sleep and seeing the horrible pictures of them, the painful memories. I stuff my hand into my pocket and pull out our family photo. The only thing keeping me sane was my family, the one i used to have. While looking down at the photo an immense, sharp pain structs my heart. I feel like someone is twisting it around inside my chest. A stream of warm tears roll down my cheeks and land onto the photo. I missed my family. For once i wanted us all to be together again. Every birthday my wish was for us to be together again. Even if it was for a second.. I lay back onto the bed and curl up with the picture pressed against my chest as i cry myself to sleep.