Chapter 10 Ben, BEHIND CLOSED DOORS

Later that night After dinner, which was chicken noddle soup and bread, I walk down the hallway and bumped into a woman. She was about in her thirties and had long black hair and sickly pale skin. Blood ran down her forearm as she held onto it. "O-Oh i'm sor- Ma'am..d-do you need help?" Before she even replied she walked off. I glanced over at her then shook my head. The soldier from earlier, the one with the scar, walked past me. If the rumors are true then the infection spreads by being bitten or scratched. That soldier wasn't attacked by a lurker but a human. The scratches start from about right under his eye and continue down. Someone was desperately trying to get away from him. Once the soldier finally walks far behind me i open my backpack and take out a glass cup i saved from dinner, i glance over at the front doors. Two mp's stand by them with ak 47's. Knowing they won't leave anytime soon i step back and throw the glass as hard as i can and scream. The cup shatters against the wall right across the hall into a million pieces, both mp's run over towards the glass. As i notices they're gone i take my chance and quickly run over to the door and slip out, making sure to slowly hold onto the door so it doesn't slam shut. Now that step 1 is done i take out my flashlight and stick to the shadows. While crouching down and slowly walking i notice a couple of soldiers walk out of the tent and head towards the front doors. They head straight into my direction! I quickly turn off the flashlight and lay down onto the floor, blending in with the tall grass. My heart begins to pound as i can hear their feet make a slight crunch as the walk on the dead grass. Then without any warning, a foot lands inches away from my face. I hold my breath and stand still, praying they don't step on me. They all seem so into their conversation that they just walk past me. I wait until a few seconds pass until i turn my flashlight back on and continue forward. I stop next to the entrance of the tent, hiding in the tall grass, and silently listen for anyone. Then a cold metal muzzle is pressed on the back of my head. They found me. My heart skips a couple of beats. With widened eyes i get ready to turn my head until a sudden feminine voice snaps at me in a hushed tone, "don't you dare move." That voice is familiar. Then i feel them grab onto my shirt, pulling me up off the ground and turn me around to face them. My eyes widen, it's Ellie. She sighs and lowers her pistol. "Sorry..Ben was it? I'm sorry for scaring you. It's just that- Oh shoot!" She grabs onto my arm and pulls me down into the grass a kneels down beside me. "What was that for?!" I asked, making sure to keep my voice lowered. "Mp's. They're on patrol. Especially around the tent." I look around then back at her. "Ellie, what are you doing out here anyway?" she looks back at me "I was going to ask you the same question." "Well?" I ask, waiting for her to respond. She sighs, "When we came here one of the guys in the suits took my dad." It now made sense. "Why are you out here?" I look at the tent "Something isn't right about this place. Most of the soldiers have claw marks on their faces and arms. If the rumors are true then the virus spreads by either being bitten or scratched." "Yeah so?" "So they weren't attacked by any of the infected but instead a human. They must be doing something serious to cause someone to scratch them that bad." Ellie nods then raises a brow, "You seriously pay attention to every detail like that?" "Well yeah..it helps doesn't it? I mean i haven't seen any of the people taken out of my group in a day. Maybe they're hiding them somewhere. Plus i heard two soldiers and a scientist talking, but i'll get into that later." Ellie brushed a curl out of her face and watched the entrance. "Let's hurry up and do this." I nodded "Alright." I crawled over to the entrance flap and carefully looked through the crack. "No one's inside, lets go." We both slowly and cautiously slipped inside.