Chapter 24 Ben, SLOWLY COMING BACK

I wake up the very next morning and thanks to Mike the sun doesn't burn my eyes, considering he covered the windows with some extra cardboard. Luckily most of the pain is gone but I felt some aches here and there. I slowly use the wall to support myself as I stand up, I start to walk but the second I added pressure onto my leg I felt like collapsing to the ground but instead I yelp a bit and kind of hop in a attempt to stay off my leg. Today is a new day, I'm awake and slowly coming back to reality. I walk into the front room where everyone was talking and laughing but once Mike noticed me everyone stopped and stared at me in shock, "Oh my god.." Shannon says in disbelief as she quickly walks over and hugs me. I smile softly and hug back, "Good morning guys.." "Forgive me for my language but sweet damn! You're alive!" Jacob exclaims as he walks over to me with Charlie. I guess I was in really bad shape, after everyone's hugs my heart kind of dropped when Ellie wasn't in the "welcome group" instead I noticed her and James in the corner snuggled up together which made my heart ache even more. I couldn't believe it..I know she isn't mine to lose but..I loved her and she's sleeping with..with him! Mike walked over to me and slowly pulled my attention away from Ellie and James, instead he handed my a plate of breakfast and helped me sit down at the bar. Everyone was just telling me how much they missed me and how happy they are that I'm alive. Then Charlie asked me what was it like to almost die, "Home. It's like going back home with the people you love. You feel warm and safe.." I guess my answer kind of scared them considering they gasped a bit. I smiled softly and pushed my now empty plate aside, "But I missed you guys." Which is true, I missed them a lot. Without them I would be dead, I'm so grateful for meeting these people. Mike and Shannon fill the kind of parent yearning hole I had in my heart. Mike taught me some stuff that my father never got the chance to explain to me, Shannon expressed the warm love and compassion i never got from my mother because she spent most of her life in the hospital. Smitty, Jacob, and Charlie are like the best friends I never had, except for Sam but no one, I mean no one can ever fill in the space that Sam and Priscilla shared in my heart. These people, my new family is everything to me and I'm everything to them.