Chapter 19

Clarissa watched the girls leave with a smile on her face. So many of them had managed to make a sour apple sweet with their goodness alone. It truly had been a good lesson.

Once the last girl had gone inside she turned to the reader to find her sat on the seat looking at the lake.

She walked over and tilted her chin upward gently. She was awake at least, those silver eyes really did feel as if they pierce through people's souls. Maybe Anemone wasn't just being cruel to the new member of staff.

After a few moments of awkward silence and Clarissa trying to analyse the reader's face to try and understand what was going through her mind the dean cleared her throat and moved away her hand.

"Scripta, are you feeling alright? You've been distracted all lesson. Is there something on your mind?"

Scripta thinned her lips before bowing her head. "I really am just an open book, aren't I? Alright, my lunch was filled with new information. Information that feels cursed to know. I just... don't know who to tell."

The fairy godmother tilted her head in confusion. "What do you mean? I would be happy to listen."

Scripta sighed and chuckled rather darkly. "Yeah, I know. I know so much about you and i fucking hate it."

The dean frowned. "I'm sorry? You know things about me? What kind of things? Who told you?"

The reader gulped and gestured vaguely to the chair next to her. Clarissa was rather confused as she shifted her skirts so that she could sit comfortably.

She looked toward the woman and nodded towards her. Scripta took the fairy godmother's hands in her own and sighed rather quietly.

"You are Clarissa Dovey, the dean of the school for good. Your mother was Princess Magica and your father was never known to the public when he was actually a commoner from the kingdom. You became a fairy godmother even though you were the top of your class because you didn't want a prince or a family."

The dean wanted to interrupt at that point but she could see that there was more coming so she sat rather awkwardly.

"You were fine living a low key life but then you became the most famous fairy godmother due to Cinderella. You didn't mind it too much but your assignments never filled the hole in your heart. They made it worse. You wanted the experience of watching children grow and become the people they are meant to be."

Clarissa was close to tears. She had dug deep, she had uncovered her entirely and was laying her life out before her. Why was she doing this? How did she know any of this? She hasn't told anyone and yet she was staging it as fact.

"You were chosen to become a teacher here because of your desire to raise heroes. You were grateful to accept once you had received a particularly bad assignment and you gave up your wings the next day. You never planned to become dean, you were happy teaching spellwork."

She knew. She knew the history of the school that wasn't even available to be read anymore.

"You taught spellwork for a few years, before the major shift. The year that everything changed. The year when both deans died and needed to be replaced. You were the next best option. Lesso became dean the same year you did. You changed the curriculum to stop you becoming like her. You didn't like that you were so similar to a never."

The dean could feel the panic rise. She knew what she had done to the school, how shallow it had become, all because she didn't like that the new and nervous dean of evil resembled her.

Anemone had warned her but she ignored and now it kept her awake at night. The amount of nevers that had been killed by her cocky and self assured evers was terrifying. If she hadn't changed the school maybe the unification could have happened sooner but no, she had to keep to old ideals.