Can't Leave You Alone (Spm part 3)

III.

Madoka did not leave Princess Fiara's side after the healers came and went. The ball carried on and the news of her weakened health was kept under hush. Her absence was left unspoken about and Madoka served as she normally would throughout the night. However, she was worried for the Princess. It was a feeling like she has never felt before, an intense longing of its own.

The healers with magic said that this was her worst bout yet and it will take quite some time for her health to return, if at all. Meaning, their magic had no effect. Madoka did not understand how they knew this, but the King ordered her to stay with the Princess anyways. Madoka was born of the commoners, a talentless girl who could not sense the spirits or cosmos as one of higher standing could. No God ever touched commoners before. She knows she will always have to take orders from those who did possess magic. Magic rules this world. Magic and violence, she's heard the tales of battle taking place in faraway theatres and on the borders of this nation.

Madoka prayed to whatever kind God that violence could not reach here, despite knowing her prayers would never reach them.

The Princess was in such a weakened state she hardly had any room to speak. She remained bedridden and unable to eat by herself. That did not stop Madoka from keeping up her duties to serve the princess no matter what. So she would feed her, wash her the best she could, and lay her back to bed. It seemed to be a lot easier when the princess wasn't trying to run away. She didn't know what overcame her, but one day she sat at the edge of the bed and watched over the Princess. She truly was beautiful. Her breathing was steady, so Madoka chose to speak.

"I still wish to know you," She said softly to her. "May your great health return swiftly and the Gods smile upon you, Your Highness."

She was about to get up, when she heard a soft voice from the Princess. Madoka looked and saw the Princess trying to speak to her.

"D-Don't leave me," she whispered, tears leaking out her eyes. "Madoka, please d-don't..."

Madoka was halfway from standing before looking back at her. And what she saw was not a Princess, but a helpless young girl she had to help. She stood up and folded her arms.

"Now, look at you," she fake scolded the Princess. "I can't leave you alone with a mess on your face, now can I?"

A small smile formed on the Princess's lips, still with her eyes closed. It was like she knew she would have her way this time.

"You sit tight, Your Highness," Madoka said, taking a handkerchief and wiping the tears off her cheeks. Then Madoka got under the sheets and rested with the princess's head snuggled on her lap.